Add an ssd to 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jvpython, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jvpython macrumors 6502

As it has been said many times before replacing the hdd in the latest iMacs is practically impossible because of the heat sensor problem. But wat I was wondering is, would it be possible to add an extra drive to the iMac as there seems to be enough room considering you have the option for an extra ssd in the apple online store? So is t possible to easily add your own ssd without any issues?

2. tnewson macrumors member

I have temporarily replaced my HDD with an SSD.. no troubles what-so-ever.

Everyone bangs on about the fan running full speed and all that crap.

Just download SSD fan control (its like a free version of HDD fan control).

It uses S.M.A.R.T to keep tabs on the SSD's temperature and keeps the HDD fan running an optimum speed.

However, i will be moving my SSD to the optical bay caddy (as soon as it arrives) as i miss having metric **** tonnes of storage space.

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/Site/SSD_Fan_Control.html

Its free!

3. jvpython thread starter macrumors 6502

Does that mean you'll be removing you optical drive? Or it there a free optical bay?

4. tnewson macrumors member

5. CHULLEN1 macrumors newbie

Yeah you can add a ssd to the secondary bay for ssd. Go to otherworldcomputing.com to see how to install them and where as well as somewhere to buy a high performance ssd.

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yes, you can add an SSD to a 2011 iMac without removing anything. I did it, and followed this guide here. Worked great.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

Hmmm.....may have to try this, would love to have an SSD in my imac.

8. Kerel macrumors member

Be careful!

Installing an ssd in an 21.5" iMac is somewhat different than a 27" iMac. They use different cables and brackets. There's a good tutorial on ifixit.com.

I have the same iMac as you have and i've tried it myself.
    I wanted to make my iMac ready for an ssd upgrade. I still don't have an ssd but i wanted to look inside my mac and install the cables first(i used to build pc's and i was kind of curios).
    I bought a 50 cm(20") sata3 cable and a sata power splitter finding out that the sata cable is to long(you need a 30cm (12")) and power splitter not usable because its connecters aren't 90 degrees angled(i thought i read it somewhere that this would work but that was probably for the 27" iMac)

I advice you to get the iMac 21 ssd kit from ebay consisting 3 parts (power cable, sata cable and ssd brackets) or the ssd upgrade kit from ifixit with the same parts and some extra's for not much more money.

some other things:
    The fans will only spin to max when you REPLACE your hard drive with another non apple drive! Not when you ADD another drive.
    You don't need a hard drive caddy for you're ssd you can put one behind the superdrive with the brackets or velcro or double sided tape.

Good luck! Tt is not that hard(if you have experience in pc building;))!