Add AppleCare plus if Apple replaces cracked screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Truefan31, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Truefan31, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Would it still be eligible? It's only been a week and my friend cracked a 6.

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

i could suggest you to get AppleCare+ over the phone and wait a few days before saying you just broke it but obviously i am not gonna do that :p

3. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Does the remote diagnostic detect a cracked screen?

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It should not detect it.

I actually heard an Apple Geek tell an iPhone owner to buy AC+ to get his phone fixed.

5. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Nothing like a bit of fraud in the morning.

If you broke it without insurance, you can try and blag it with them but otherwise just pay for it to be fixed. It's not their responsibility to fix it if your friend broke it.

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

The charge to replace the screen on an iPhone 6 is $109. The charge to replace the screen with AppleCare+ is $99 plus $79.00 deductible. Cheeper just to pay for a screen replacement.

7. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

Yes but you get 1 more accidental damage claim

8. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Wouldn't your CC cover your first 90 days of ownership?

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Yes, its fraud. Hope they catch him

10. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah he said he's good. Guess he'll get the screen fixed, have cc cover it then get ac plus

11. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

What are u talking about? I'm not suggesting fraud. Catch who? My friend will get Apple to fix it then add ac plus.

12. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

You cannot add AC+ on a device that has already been cracked, even if it's still in the 60 day period.

13. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I asked AppleCare and she said it can be if Apple fixes the screen

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh, yes, they could probably pay Apple to fix the screen then pay to add AppleCare.

What you can't do is add AppleCare, then try to get your cracked screen fixed. That's fraud.

15. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

What you are discussing is out and out fraud! You've admitted that your friend broke the screen and now you want apple to fix it for nothing? That is fraud!

16. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Whoever told you that gave you the wrong information. Think about it. How would any company, let alone Apple, let you add any type of protection plan or insurance on something that was already accidental damaged? What's the point? If that was the case there'd be no need to add on ANY type of protection plan prior to buying a phone or any device. Let's just wait till it's damaged. Makes total sense.

17. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

My granddaughter (with her mother alongside) about 3-4 weeks ago took her 5 month old broken screen 5S into an Apple store and that is EXACTLY what they told her. "If you buy AC+ will we cover the screen replacement for you under the plan." She went in just to have it replaced with NO intention of buying AC just paying the cost for replacement which she saved up for like 3 months.

This offer has been documented MANY times all over the web over many years. It's just exceptional customer service (plus they are selling their plan). AC+ is not "insurance" it's simply a service plan for an electronic device. While most other companies would never do that Apple (as much as I hate them) tries to go the extra mile for a customer.

Consider it a "perk" from a company that sells overpriced electronics trying to do good for their customers and maintain their reputation. That's one of the reasons why they are so highly rated for customer service. Think of it as like Costco who will take back and refund a fully eaten turkey from a customer who brought in the carcass 2 weeks after Thanksgiving because they felt it wasn't good enough, or fully refund a 4 year old vacuum cleaner because the customer SAID it should last longer (I swear, I saw it with my own eyes plus a lot more). Sometimes the GOOD WILL is worth millions (or billions in the case of Apple). Doing this "favor" for a customer might cost Apple $10 in the end but generates 100 more customers worth a lot more money then it cost them to fix it because of the goodwill it generated.

Here is an interesting article: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...es/7-customer-service-lessons-companies-best/

18. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

That's what I'm asking. Apple themselves will fix the screen for 109. Then AppleCare plus can be added for 99.

19. Truefan31, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

What are u talking about? I think you're confused. Apple will fix the screen for 109 then AppleCare plus will be added for 99. Please stop accusing when you don't know the details.

I asked 2 AppleCare representatives. Both said the same thing. If Apple fixes the screen for 109 then AppleCare plus can be added for 99. It was bought within the 60 day window. Maybe you were given wrong info.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What Apple will do is offer you a choice.

1, pay for screen to be fixed

2, apply apple care and then use one of your accidental breakages to repair/replace the phone.

21. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Sigh. What they've said is if Apple fixes the screen for 109 AppleCare plus can then be added for 99. Because they're fixing it and it's still within 60 days it can be done. 2 different AppleCare reps.

22. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

If you read the post a little better you would see that the question is whether or not Apple would add AC+ after paying to get the screen fixed. It is a valid question, and does not constitute fraud. In fact, even asking Apple to fix the screen is not fraud unless you lie about the circumstance AND they fix it. Please try not to jump to conclusions so quickly next time, and instead try to understand the post and answer the question at hand.

23. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

OP, you should have never posted here, but go straight to Apple.

24. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

It's my friend whose phone is in question. He asked me, I thought someone here might know before I called Apple. Lol I shouldn't have posted here? Not my fault others couldn't read my posts.