Add artwork to iTunes database

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pulsewidth947, May 6, 2007.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Has anyone figured out a way to add artwork to the iTunes artwork database (rather than embedding the artwork in the files)? I've run "Get Album Artwork" but there are a few albums with no artwork still. I don't have the space on my iPod to embed the artwork :/

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't understand... I didn't think there was any net impact on the filesize burden on your iPod regardless of how the artwork is added. Doesn't the amount of file storage your songs need go up even if Apple provides the artwork?

3. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

If you want to find those albums covers go to amazon, look it up, and drag the cver onto the correct box on the song. (Get info, album artwork)

4. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

When the artwork is added through iTunes it is stored in a folder and not embedded in your mp3s. Then when I sync to my iPod it only copies over the songs, instead of songs+artwork.

I have a 3G iPod so there is no point wasting space on the iPod.

If you drag the artwork in, it embeds it into the mp3, increasing the file size.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I understand now. I didn't think that it might not copy the art over in the database if you don't have a capable iPod. :eek:

Hmmm... I think you can submit a suggestion to Apple, but otherwise, it's their database, and technically, the album covers are copyrighted materials. So they're not going to let you just upload album covers to their site. I'm sure that they actually went through the process of obtaining permission in writing to deliver this service as part of iTunes, if they didn't go so far as to even pay a fee for the artwork. It's crazy, of course, since it's freely available and no one is going to get prosecuted for appropriating artwork from Amazon. But still, once you're a billion dollar company, you know... different rules.

6. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a solution anywhere. I like the database system, and I do understand why they do it that way, but I would like to add my own artwork to the database.

I'll take your advice and see if I can submit a suggestion.

7. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

There's a way that you can take the artwork provided by iTunes servers and embed it in your music.

1. Get the artwork from the songs you want and let it apply it to your songs. Keep in mind it doesn't embeed it to the song itself.

2. In the little box on the left bottom hand corner, your artwork should show. Click & drag that to your desktop, this should create a clipboard file.

3. Right click on the songs and remove downloaded artwork.

4. Select the songs you want, press Command (Apple)-I and drag your clipboard artwork file into the blank space where artwork goes.

5. iTunes copies this to the song and embeds it no matter where you play it.

6. Enjoy!

8. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Oops, I just realized I replied back not addressing the issue, well other can keep my post for reference.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sometimes there is a blank white image in the Get Info tab. When this blank image is up it will hide any other artwork that either was downloaded from the iTMS or from say google or amazon (that were put in manually) this maybe why the art work does not show up in your iPod. Also I am not 100% but I thought if you anted to in preferences select whether to add the art-work to an iPod or to any have it in iTunes (don't recall though).

10. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The artwork doesnt show because I dont have a colour screen iPod. I'm trying to get the artwork into the iTunes database, instead of embedding it in the mp3. Apparently its not possible.

11. jrx macrumors newbie

o_O

i don't get it. so u WANT the artwork or not?