Add attachments to email reply??

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kevo1011, Jan 29, 2015.

1. kevo1011 macrumors regular

Anyone know how to attach various files PDFs to an email reply? I have the files in Dropbox, but I want to attach the file not share a link.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You can't do it with a reply. Annoying I know.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

4. kevo1011 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried it. Doesn't support exchange server 2003. I'm hoping my employer will update to exchange server 2012 soon.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Ah, that sucks. We're on 2007 or 2010 here at work.

6. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Good luck - there's no such thing as Exchange 2012...

7. kevo1011 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry. Just what I heard. I'll rephrase and hope they update soon.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Outlook actually isn't the solution you want in any case. Like the Dropbox app, it will just attach a link to the file.

When I need to do this, I use the app Documents 5 (https://appsto.re/us/Vw_Vv.i) it integrates with Dropbox and allows you to actually attach files and not just a link to the file. The only caveat is that you need to browse to the file in Documents and create the email from that app (it will open in Apple Mail.) not entirely ideal, but the best way I've found to attach files from Dropbox.

9. GreyOS, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Fingers crossed that the storage provider stuff will be available in Mail in iOS 9. Kind of incredible it didn't come in iOS 8. Kind of incredible this still isn't possible in Mail after 8 generations.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I need to attach a jpeg into an email reply. In order to do so I have to get my laptop out, connect my iPhone via USB, save the jpeg from my camera roll to my laptop, open my email account on my laptop, and then attach the jpeg to send from my laptop. Utterly ridiculous.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Replying with a photo is easy, just long press on the body of your reply to bring up the menu and press the right arrow so you see the Insert Photo or Video option.

It's replying with any other sort of file which is a problem for Mail :)

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Ah, awesome. I never knew that...

13. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

There's more than one way to skin a cat... for multiple photos, open photo roll, select all that you need, copy, switch to the reply, paste.

14. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Try using CloudMagic Mail app, in combination with Documents 5.

15. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure why you would do that. You've always been able to attach photos directly in Mail, and there are tons of third-party apps that will enable you to create an email with any other type of file attached. Under no circumstances should your workflow require the steps you've described.

16. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

There are some jailbreak options. Other than that, the new outlook app is best bet.

17. cynics macrumors G4

To send a PDF file you can use most any PDF viewing app. For example iBooks or Abobe Reader or whatever app that has a share option. One of the options in the list will be email.

So use (insert app name here) to view the PDF, this will generally save that PDF into that app. Then while viewing it you'll need to find the share options and select email. From there is where you'll compose your email and it will have the PDF attached.

It not very intuitive since iOS is the only OS that does email attachments in such a way but its due to its sandboxing. It gets even more difficult if you want to attach multiple PDF's and damn near impossible when it comes to files that iOS and its apps don't support.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unfortunately I don't believe any of those options would work when needing to attach something to a reply email (vs. a new email).

19. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Actually, Apple introduced new storage provider and document picking APIs in iOS 8 to get around this sandboxing, but have yet to make use of them in their own Mail app!

Take a look at something like Pages though, which can open a file from apps' cloud storage (e.g. iCloud, or Dropbox when they implement the API properly) and apps' local storage (e.g. Documents by Readdle).

The groundwork is already there in the OS but two things need to happen by the time iOS 9 is released, otherwise I'll be sad:

1. Apple need to add an 'Add attachments' feature to Mail which opens the storage/document picker.
    2. More apps that act as cloud or local storage need to make themselves available through this picker.