Add audio files to iphoto '09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rikscha, Jul 30, 2010.

1. rikscha macrumors 6502a

hi,
    I would like to add audio files to some of my events and so far all attempts to do so failed.

I used to take many pictures with my old mobile and also used to shoot videos and record short memos.
    Now I can of course import my photos and videos but I cant do so with my memos.
    Any idea? I read on the internet that there is the possibility to merge one of your photos with that memo and save it as a video but my memos are usually not related to any of my photos and I like to add them independently from my photos.

I think the solution would be to convert the audio file into an iphoto friendly video file but I have no idea how to do it. thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What format are those memos in once you transferred them to your Mac?

As iPhoto already suggests in its application title, it is meant for photos, the ability to also catalogue some videos is just because many digital photo cameras take also video.

Format; .wav, .mp3, .m4, .3gp, ...?

3. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

the videos are mainly 3gp which works fine. also some mp4 videos.
    the audio files are in .amr
    I converted these into mp4, wav and also m4a, but nothing worked

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use iTunes and Playlists or even edit the .mp3 or .m4a tags to accommodate your needs, but iPhoto will not accept audio files, as it is used for visual media cataloguing.

5. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

but isnt there a chance of converting an audio file into a video file? iphoto starts quicktime anyway for playing the video files, so why not play my audio files?

I wouldnt like to put theses memo into itunes because I want them to be together with the pictures. I think I wasnt clear, the memos do not relate directly to the photos but rather to the event itself. for example,
    I took take pictures and videos at some party, and on my way back home I always liked to record some memos reminding me of what happened at that party, very helpful when you were really drunk :)

6. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found a solution but dont really like it.
    I opened a new project in imovie, added a picture and my audio file into this project and exported the whole thing as a mov video. iphoto is happy to take that. i still find it weird that iphoto wouldnt simply accept the audio file.
    an audio file is nothing less than a video file without a picture :)