Add Battery to OptiBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tech324, Mar 30, 2011.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2010
    I know people have taken out their DVD drives in the macbook pros and put in second hard drives and such. Has anyone ever tried to add a battery in the dvd drive bay so you could get more battery life out of the laptop? Might be a cool hack.
  2. superericla macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2010
    That would be quite a bit more difficult. Especially since the computer isn't charged through SATA ports. lol
  3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

Feb 24, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Unless you know how to route power to and from the main board to where you want to put the battery, I'd say it's impossible.
  4. blueroom macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I wish that was a factory option. I use my optical drive so infrequently.
  5. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2010
    I am not sure how the battery connects to the board but couldn't you split that cable off to another battery in the optical bay?
  6. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2010
    you would have to match the voltage and amperage,millivolts output i think,and youd have to know whether to wire it in series or parallel,ive often wondered the same thing,and its entirely possible to do,maybe another macbook battery might fit,out of a plastic macbook or ibook -mba or something,now how it charges might be tricky,as it might overdraw the watts/external transformer,overheat it,but,if its in series,it may just take a lot longer to charge,it could be done im sure,the mba has 3-4 seperate batteries,does it not?
    youd need to work out which wires are power in[charging]and power out too,and do some rewiring offa the plug to battery.
  7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2007
    That's just plain dangerous thinking. Please don't take this idea any further for the sake of your poor computer :)
  8. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2010
    sounds scary but its a basic thing really,just have a look at the inside of an ipad,or mba,they have several batteries ,wired together,entirely possible for mbpro too i believe.