Add Chapter Markers in DVD-Studio-Pro...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ZballZ, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

I do a lot of video-editing, but not so much dvd-authoring.

Now I am authoring this project in DVD-studio-pro, and I realize that I forgot to add chapter markers in FCP. Now, since I have already compressed all my material to mpeg2 - took about 7 hours - I cant start over. Unfortunately the client asked for some very specific chapter markers, and I am puzzled that there seems to be no way of adding these directly in DVD-studio-pro... Or am I wrong?

Help appreciated!!

thx
    ZballZ

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Look in the DVD-SP timeline. See the tick marks above the tracks? Click in the area right above that to add chapter markers. One note: since the footage has already been compressed to a GOP structure (MPEG-2) you can only add a chapter marker at an I-Frame ... so you may not be able to place them precisely where you want them. Zooming all the way in on the timeline helps.

-DH

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you can also add them by hitting "M" while on the timeline and DVDSP will place a chapter marker where the playhead is (well technically the nearest I-frame as DH said)

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

You can also import chapter markers from a text file. See Here.

Might save you some effort.

5. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

THX!

Problem solved. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to work out :)

zballz

6. bobmane macrumors newbie

so if i want to leave space in the nle (vegas pro) that will let me put chapter markers at "the nearest I-frame " how much space per segue do i need?

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Bob, a GOP sequence is 15 frames long.
    I know Vegas edits long GOP natively, but it is better to use an intermediate codec like Cineform. Prevents some headaches.

8. bobmane macrumors newbie

got it, sounds like if i leave 30 - 40 frames per segue i should be able to place the chapter markers in dvdsp