Add copy protection to a home made DVD? Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xraydoc, Mar 8, 2009.

1. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have a few video files that I would like to distribute to a few people, but I would like to try and prevent casual copying. Is it possible to burn a home made DVD with DVD CCS copy protection on it without using something like Final Cut Studio?

I don't see a way to do it with iDVD or Toast 8.x. Any other suggestions? Does Toast 10 have this ability?

2. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

The CSS will offer what is effectively no protection to your DVD. Even a casual user can easily break it; so if someone really wants to use the DVD for something beyond what you approve, they can do so very easily.

Also, I think you have to be a movie studio to even be able to put CSS onto the DVD. I'm not sure about that though.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No. Not even Final Cut Studio has this ability. As far as I know in order to make use of this you need to get your disks pressed professionally.

4. xraydoc thread starter macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yeah, I know how easy it is to defeat CCS... I do it all the time.

But I suspect that the companies (Macrovision, etc.) that sell the copy protection encoding schemes charge a lot of money to license it.

I'm just surprised that since its become so easy/free to defeat that is hasn't become as easy/free to implement, either.

5. djkirsten macrumors regular

Sadly enough the only Apple app i can think of that adds copy protection is DVD Studio Pro... which is part of the final cut studio... BUT i do believe Adobe's Encore will do exactly what DVD studio pro does, and it might have a 30 day demo (you'll have to register with Adobe).

Hope this helps.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It does? Since when? I have Final Cut Studio and I can't for the life of me ever remember seeing anything regarding copy protection for DVDs.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly