add eSATA expresscard to macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulold, Jul 28, 2009.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I have a 15" MacBook Pro from a couple of years ago (2.0 GHz) and I am about to upgrade my harddrive from 75 GB to 500 GB (and from 5400 to 7200 rpm). I think I am going to simply clone my harddrive, so I bought an enclosure for my new drive to use when transferring all my data. The enclosure I purchased works with usb 2.0 or eSATA.

My question is, should I take advantage of the eSATA speeds? Do you think it's worth it? For another 50 bucks I could by an expresscard and a cable that will allow me to do the transfer via eSATA. Should I bother or should I just stick with USB 2.0? I hear USB 3.0 is coming out early next year, so I was thinking I shouldn't bother with eSATA (though 50 bucks isn't much of an investment). But I'm not about to wait for USB 3.0 to come out.

Do you think it would be worth spending the money to get the extra speed for this transfer? My 75 GB drive is almost full.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

A HDD can't even take full advantage of firewire 800 speeds, much less eSATA. Most 7200RPM drives are about the same speeds as firewire 400 (50-60 MB/s in sequential reads, much lower in other reads and writes).