Add everything that does not exist?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Intelligent, May 3, 2014.

1. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Hey i have around 58,000 images that i need to get to my hd but i already have around 20-40% of them on the drive, so how can i add these that do not already exist? It must be around 20,00 to 35,000.
    EDIT: I will clarify a bit, i have a folder with all the images and i want to add them to another folder, but then again 20-40% or 20,00 to 35,000 already are in that folder.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just copy everything into it, and select the option that only adds new items when prompted to do so.

3. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I have done that, the problem is that it can't copy over 16k items and now i already have a bunch of duplicates

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You may use Carbon Copy Cloner (3.4.7, free) to sync folder 1 and folder 2 : CCC will make folder 2 identical to folder 1 = it will only copy the files that are not already present in folder 2.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

In Terminal:
    Code:
    rsync -navP folder1/ folder2

That one slash is important, it means the contents of the folder but not the folder itself. The 'n' option means 'dry run' so it will not actually do anything except print out what it is going to do. When everything looks right, take off the 'n' and run it again.

A.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

@OP : for info, CCC uses the rsync command, so both ways will give the same results.

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

To be honest, CCC probably uses a newer and better version of rsync. But rsync is free and comes with the OS; CCC is not and does not.

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

CCC 3.4.7 is free and I use it to sync folders.

(works fine on Mavericks).

9. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

In CCC, can i choose what not to include?, because out of the 59k things i want to move maybe around 3k is things i dont want to move.

10. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes you can.

"CCC conveniently lists the contents of your source volume when you select it in the Source menu. Next to each item in this list of "Items to be copied", there is a checkbox that, when unchecked, indicates that an item should not be copied to your destination volume (unchecked items will also turn red to indicate that they are excluded). Each folder in this table has a disclosure triangle, just like in the Finder. Click on the disclosure triangle to reveal the contents of a folder, then you can continue deselecting items to be copied, if desired. CCC will not allow you to navigate beyond the folders for which you have permission to view."

See : http://help.bombich.com

11. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I tried it and it would be a pain to deselect 3000 items.

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

One way or another you have to select the 3000 items. I'm guessing you'll put them in a separate folder that you can uncheck in CCC.