Add external iTunes library to iTunes. Keep music on external.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prizm, Aug 8, 2014.

1. prizm macrumors member

As much as I've searched high and low I keep getting screwed when I add music to my iTunes library. Thousands of duplicates. I want to avoid that mistake this time.

I want to:
    A. Add music to a clean install of mavericks. It's empty now after new install.
    B. Keep my music library on my external hard drive.

How do I:
    A. Add existing external Hard drive library to iTunes.
    B. Keep all music on external hard drive.
    C. I don't want to reference any old playlists, iTunes library files, etc. I want to start fresh and new.

It shouldn't be difficult, but iTunes is anything but cooperative usually.

Thanks for your help!

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Tell iTunes where you want it to keep your music (Preferences/Advanced). Make sure the Keep Organized box is checked.
    Move all your music to that location (whereever/iTunes/Music).
    Choose Menu/File/Add to Library, point to the same directory.
    Let iTunes import and build its database.

In the future, when you want to add new music, move the files to whereever/iTunes/Automatically Add to iTunes.

A.

3. prizm thread starter macrumors member

Cool.. thanks for the input. I could of sworn I've done the same in the past only to have the library duplicate songs. But we'll see how it goes.

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If you use "Add to Library" with files outside of the iTunes library, iTunes will copy those files into the library. It is up to you to delete the originals. If you move (really move, and not copy) files into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder, iTunes will move them from there into the appropriate directories.

I have had my library on an external disk since I started using iTunes and have not had a problem with unexpected duplicates. Indeed, I have seen iTunes ignore duplicate files that I have accidentally added twice. I usually copy files, and when I am satisfied with the end result I then delete the originals.

A.

5. prizm thread starter macrumors member

So to clarify, when adding the external hard drive for the first time should I check the Advanced box "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library?" Or should I wait to check that AFTER I add the entire hard drive for the first time.

Or doesn't it really matter?

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If you moved all your music into the iTunes library directory as I described earlier, it should not matter. Once the files are in iTunes' space, it will move them around as it wants. In the past I have deleted the iTunes database files and told iTunes to "Add" its own library directory. There is a lot of database building after that, but in the end everything is (mostly) right where it started.

A.

7. prizm thread starter macrumors member

8. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Let me tell my method. I store my music on an external and I never have any duplicates.

Tell iTunes where you want it to keep your music (Preferences/Advanced).
    Move all your music to that location (whereever/iTunes/Music). Arrange folder as you please.
    Uncheck Keep iTunes Media folder organized.
    Uncheck Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library.

Begining the process by hit cmd+O and select the folder(s) you want to add to your library.

That's all. Never have duplicates.