Add Google Voice to Apple ID for use with iMessage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBHockey, Feb 9, 2014.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I was able to add my Google Voice number to my Apple ID but neither my iPhone nor iMessage on my MBA show it as available to receive at or start conversations from.

Is there some inherent incompatibility with Google Voice numbers and AppleIDs/iMessage?

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

It's a forwarding service not a real phone number

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

U would have to add your real phone number. Google voice is just a forward service. What's wrong with using ur real phone number and attaching your appleid to it?

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755
    Your GV account is not an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch -- it's on Google's servers. I understand why one might overlook this but your GV number is tied to your GV account and GV on your device syncs with your GV account. Your device does not use SMS to send/receive text messages via GV.

Google would have to provide iMessage integration on their end.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe at least Sprint in US allows (or allowed) to use your actual phone number (that would be associated with your iPhone from your carrier) as your Google Voice number as well...it sounds like it would work in that case (but that's a somewhat limited population).

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It might be worth mentioning that Google does have a Google Voice "app" for iOS that lets you send/receive texts through that. I use that for my Google Voice number, and iMessage for my phone's number and iMessages.

8. awgneo macrumors newbie

I've had success with this!

Before I ported my number to GV, I had it attached to my iPhone and was using iMessage, as normal. After I completed a port of this number to GB, I got a new phone with a new number, which I also added to iMessage.

Now, both numbers (the ported and the new number) are in my iMessage "pool" and I can send and receive iMessages just fine to and from both numbers. I think you have to set up iMessage once against Apple's servers with an iOS device, and then it is good to go, even if that number moves around, as long as it stays in your iMessage pool.

Who knows, it might die some day, but it has been working for a month now.

9. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I sure hope iOS 8 lets you send and recieve texts through and calls through at least other iOS devices...that would be SO handy to be able to text from my iPad through my phone to other people.

You can do that now IF the other person has iOS, but otherwise not. (Although if I could I'd force every Android owner to switch to iOS and Windows Phone)

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I'm pretty sure that was one of the continuity features that they talked about; SMS messages now show up on iMessages in Mac or iPad...

11. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Nice! Thanks. That's genuinely useful for me.

I wish all that stuff would sync to Windows too, but I'm not counting on that (even though obviously there's no technical reason for it). But still, will be legitimately useful even if I can get it on my iPad.

12. MacClueless macrumors member

I bet you could port your Google Voice number to an actual phone, register it with iMessage, then port it BACK to Google Voice?

Best of both worlds?