add HFS+ partitions to external drive with NTFS partitions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atomicrabbit, Apr 5, 2008.

1. atomicrabbit macrumors member

the title says it all. I have a 300gb external drive with 2 NTFS partitions with important information on them. Is there a way to add a HFS/HFS+ partition to the drive without removing, or corrupting/damaging the NTFS partitions (the NTFS partitions were made in Windows XP)?

When I try to create a new partition using iPartition, it says:

iPartition could not find a partition map on this drive.

This may be because the disk is empty, or it may be because the partition map on the disk is not in a format that iPartition recognises.

To create a new partition map, select the type of map you require and click "Create Partition Map", below.

It gives me the option to choose either Apple or GUID partition map types. I don't want to screw up the NTFS partitions already on the drive. Will creating an Apple Partition Map erase the Master Boot Record (MBR) made by Windows?

2. atomicrabbit thread starter macrumors member

Ok I did a bit of fiddling around and searching for info and it seems as though I was using an old version of iPartition (v1.5.0 or something ). I got version 3 and I was able to do everything I needed! I also read that you cannot repartition any drive while logged into osx -- which I find really weird. That's why all the options in the partition tab of Disk Utility were disabled.

So anyways, I was able to keep the NTFS partitions, delete the FAT32 partitions and add an HFS+ partition so I could restore a DMG to it.