Add iTunes Content Rating to .mov (or .avi)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ross.32, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

I really like how MetaX adds the content rating to the metadata so it shows in in iTunes and Front Row (PG-13, R, ect..). Unfortunately, it does not work with my .mov QuickTime reference files or .avi files.

I can use QuickTime Pro to edit every metadata tag that I use except for the content rating. Are there any ways to add this tag to the original .avi or the reference .mov? If there are no Mac apps to do the job, anything that will work in Vista or Ubuntu?

Thanks

2. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Perry.100 macrumors newbie

Possible solution

There is an iTunes XML file that contains that info for all iTunes content. I am trying to edit it manually to see if it works. I will let you know.

4. Perry.100 macrumors newbie

Didn't work. Will have to try something else.

5. Perry.100 macrumors newbie

You need to include the rating data as part of the content (movie file). I was going to write a utility myself, but I found a tool called 'Lostify' that allowed me to edit the content file's metadata. I tested it on an .mp4, and it worked like a charm. I have not tested it on .mov or .avi files, but there probably is a tool that will convert them to .mp4. Hope this helps.