Add link when someone copies text from a webpage

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Sep 28, 2010.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So I've seen this a few times and I'm starting to wonder how it's done. When you copy text from some websites (especially newspaper sites), then paste it somewhere, "Read more" plus a link to the page is added. Anyone know how to do this? The quoted text below is an example what happens when you copy text from this page.

2. manueld macrumors 6502

It really just depends on what you're pasting it into, if your pasting into a html capable document then links should carry over.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Tynt

One of the scourges of the Internet, at least for people like me who are copying lots of quotes from websites. The first thing I have to do is delete the crap they add on there. Fortunately, there are some tools to help defeat it.

John Gruber's thoughts, which seem to be pretty spot on.

4. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Thanks for the links. I, too, dislike having that junk added, I just had no real idea how it was done. I went to the NY Post site and found this JS link ("Tracer.js") embedded in the code.

And thanks to the Gruber blog, now I have this Safari 5 extension to block it (and some other annoying stuff).