Add Lyrics to iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, Nov 4, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm having a very annoying problem here.

I have SingThatiTune installed in my Dashboard, and it doesn't always find lyrics.

I also have Desktoplyrics installed to show the lyrics (when available) on my desktop.

I am attempting to manually search for lyrics, and add them to iTunes my pasting them into the widget, and clicking the save button. Whenever I paste into the widget, the formatting of the text is gone. The spaces remain, but the lines get jumbled together into one big mess. It's like it ignores every 'return' and attempts to make it one big line.

So I went into iTunes, "get info">"Lyrics" Erased what was there, and re-pasted. The same thing happened. I thought I was going crazy, so I pasted into textedit, and it looked fine. The format commands remained, and it looked like it was on the site I copied from.

Is there any easier way to add lyrics to iTunes? I don't want to have to manually add AND sort through the text on each song. Is there no program capable of reading format commands from the clipboard (like text edit can) and writing to iTunes?

2. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I found an apple script from Douges apple scrips that adds clipboard lyrics to selected tracks. Is there a way to re-write it to add to the Currently playing track?

Or, alternatively

An apple script that selects the currently playing track automatically? I don't want to manually have to click each one to make sure it adds the lyrics to the correct one.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

4. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I firgured out a way to do it. I remembered Keyboard Maestro has the ability to do what I need.

I created a Macro that:

-Activates iTunes
    -Selects "View>Show Current Song" (selects the currently playing track)
    -Activates iTunes (i put that twice to make sure there is time for the last macro to run before the script)
    -Runs AppleScript (The script takes what is on the clipboard, and copies it to the selected Track(s)

All I need to do is copy the lyrics the way I want into text edit, then copy the final product, and hit F13. A window will pop up asking if it looks alright, I click OK, and it adds the lyrics.

I could normally copy directly from a site, but I'm doing Rammstein tracks, which are German-language tracks. I want English and German lyrics on there, so I must use textedit to paste them both on the same page to copy from

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

The lyric searchers often fail me, unless the album names, song titles, years, track numbers, or whatever it needs is off by something.

Back in my days of Windows I deleted all Albums from the ID Tags, and as a mac noob I deleted all track numbers. Of course now I wish I didn't, but that is done, I'm forced to work with it.

I got some album names back when I was looking for art work, but others I could not seem to locate. There are even songs I do not have names for, because they were downloaded from P2P programs, and Are not anything that is easily identifiable.

I'm sure the techno ones would be impossible to identify, with no lyrics to go by.

Basically, all I'm saying is these widgets do not work for me, at least not all the time. SingThatiTune has gotten a host of lyrics for me, but failed on others. I just wanted a way to quickly add lyrics to the tags from a text file or clip board, and That I did.

The reason I need to do it with a program is:
    A - Manually pasting into the lyric section seems to ignore all the Return commands, which makes the entire thing into one giant paragraph, and

B - I do not wish to manually open iTunes, select the track, and "get Info", click the "Lyrics" tab, and paste for EACH song. It is unnecessarily time consuming, and it doesn't even work (see point A)