Add Map Bookmark To Contact

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ochire, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Ochire macrumors member

Hey

If I have dropped a pin and saved a bookmark, is there anyway to add this to a contact as their address? I can't seem to do it, unless I am missing something really obvious.

2. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I know that the contacts postal code/zip code acts as a sort of map bookmark.
    If you touch it when in contacts, it will take you straight to their address in maps.

Edit: I just checked on the phone, and it is actually the whole address that acts as a link, not just the code.

3. Ochire thread starter macrumors member

Right

But say I have a friend, and I have him on my phone, but not his address. Now i'm at his place and using GPS, I get my location. I drop a pin, and bookmark it as 'friend's place'

However, how do i then transfer this to his contact info?

4. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

1) Open Maps
    2) Open Bookmarks and choose your bookmark to drop a pin on the map
    3) Press the arrow on the pin
    4) Choose "Add to existing contact"

5. Ochire thread starter macrumors member

I assumed that would be it..

However, I only get directions to, from and add to bookmarks

Any ideas? Running 2.0.2

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Did you flick the screen up?

The options I get are:

Directions To Here
    Directions From Here

Add to Bookmarks

Create New Contact
    Add to Existing Contact

7. Ochire thread starter macrumors member

That works fine for bookmarks with addresses.

But how about ones I drop using my GPS? It doesn't have the option. What's up with that?

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Ah, I see what you are saying. I even tried dropping a pin and then getting directions to it. It made the purple pin into red. But when adding it as a contact address, it didn't give a complete address only the street name.

9. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I realise this isn't quite the solution you are after, but considering you are at your friends place, why don't you ask him for his address and add that to your contacts?

10. Ochire thread starter macrumors member

Ok but that was just an example.

So if there is a place where I cannot get the address, or there is no address, but I have a contact in my phone book that is located there - I cannot transfer the GPS bookmark to that contact? Seems like a serious fault. Can I at least use the GPS point to obtain an address that google maps would recognise?

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

how is it a serious fault if its a feature no other phone has either?

12. Ochire thread starter macrumors member

Why on earth should this fault be judged on whether other phones can do it or not? And do you know for a fact that other phones can't transfer a gps co-ordinate to a contact?

To me it is pretty frustrating, as there are a number of places where I have gps bookmarks that I would like to transfer into my contacts and am not able to do so. I consider it to be a serious fault - and another example of where apple have been lazy by not thinking through day-to-day scenarios. Why include GPS if you don't give users the maximum number of options in which one can put it to use?

13. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I agree with what you're saying... To be honest though, Apple doesn't even (publicly) want the FULL GPS experience on the iphone 3g, like voice nav. You really think they'd include this when so few people will use it? :eek:

I, for one, know I can live without it, even if it is relatively convenient...

Justin

14. Ochire thread starter macrumors member

Ok - well anyway, is there an app that can translate a gps point into an address?

15. chomby1991 macrumors member

type search in. A pin will drop. Click blue arrow on pin. Click add new contact.
    If you have a bookmark search bookmark and then click the blue arrow. I also like to take a picture of the building for the contact

16. Ochire thread starter macrumors member

Either your post didn't make sense or you haven't noticed that you can't add gps pin bookmarks to contacts

17. sibruk macrumors 6502a

OK, I appreciate that others here have tried to guide you through this, but this is a little bit complicated, so it's probably best for me to explain with pictures and everything! So here is a step-by-step guide. The good news is that you can achieve what you asked about in your first post. There is however definitely a bug in the code which means you can't always add map locations very easily to a contact.

1) In (Google) Maps on the iPhone, either:
    (a) search for a location
    (b) locate yourself using GPS or
    (c) drag the map around until you are happy with the location​

2) Depending on whether you chose (a), (b) or (c) above:
    (a) You searched and the result should come up with a red pin (ie. a known named location). If that's true you can skip a few steps - go to step 4 below!

[​IMG]

(b) and (c) You now need to drop a pin: curl up the page (bottom right button) and tap "Drop Pin". Move the pin around until you are happy that the pinpointed location is correct. When you have done that, follow step 3 onwards.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3) So now you have a purple pinpoint. You cannot actually do anything with it though! The options screen for it (accessed by tapping the blue arrow on the label) doesn't list the full set of options.

[​IMG]

In order to work around this bug, you have to move over to the directions screen. Tap "Directions" and your dropped pin should be listed in the Start field. Add something (anything!) in the End field and tap "Route" (bottom right). You will then get a directions overview come up. You can now add either the start (green pin) or end (red pin) point to a bookmark by tapping the pin in question and moving onto the next step.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4) Now Maps has deemed you have a "known location", tap the blue arrow on the label for the pin and the full list of options for saving to a Bookmark should now be there. Note that if you had put the pin off of a road (say, in a field!), it will move it to the closest road. But lucky for you, not many people live in a field, so you should be alright.

[​IMG]

=======

There are two bugs as I see it: (i) You can't save to a contact without having gone via Directions. (ii) The place has to be associated with a road - it won't just take GPS co-ordinates. This is probably due to the fact that Maps is very much geared around giving driving directions. You can't even save from a Bookmarked pin unless it has been specifically associated with a road.

18. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Thanks for clearing up this post :).

snverhallen

19. Ochire thread starter macrumors member

20. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Great! :D You're welcome.

Another example of the way Apple's products 'just work'. :rolleyes:

21. arkkitekktura macrumors newbie

Can I add a map bookmark to an event in my calendar, per example: I have an appointment for a dinner and I want to set the time and place, but I do the place I want to include a link or bookmark to the google map and location.