add more than 2 GB to Early 2006 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMac2006Girl, Jan 30, 2012.

1. iMac2006Girl macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have finally maxed out my memory & would like to add more if possible. Anyone know if I can add more than 2 GB to my Early 2006 iMac? If so, where is a good place to purchase more & what should I be looking for in the memory exactly? Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

3. iMac2006Girl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh & I'm not sure if it matters, but I have the Intel Core Duo 2 GHz processor.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at the links I posted. That will tell you the maximum RAM for your model.

5. iMac2006Girl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply! I checked the links, but I'm having a bit of trouble locating my iMac. I only know it by Early 2006 model & am not seeing it on the list. How can I tell if mine is a G4 vs G5, etc. to locate it on the EveryMac list?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you click the last link in my first post and enter your serial number, it will tell you exactly what model you have.

7. simsaladimbamba

And you neither have a G4 or G5 iMac, you haven an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac.

8. iMac2006Girl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so from what I can tell through all of the links, I can't add any more memory since I have the Intel Core Duo. If I had the Late 2006 model (mine is Early 2006), then I could take it 3 GB total. Is there any other way around this?! What do you do if memory is maxed out & not upgradeable?! I'm trying to figure out the next step here... :confused:

9. simsaladimbamba

You can't do anything, unless you exchange the logic board and CPU of that unit or get a newer, even used or refurbished, C2D Mac.

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The 2GB limitation on the 2006 iMacs is in the firmware, not the chipset (cheers, Apple). You can flash the firmware with that of a Core2Duo model which will allow you to utilise 4GB.

Also, if you're handing, you could drop in a Core2Duo which are pretty cheap nowadays.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I don't think telling a person that has that much trouble looking up their iMac model that they could flash firmware to enable it to use more memory is a good idea.

Besides that - I don't think flashing the firmware will get it to recognize/use more RAM anyway. I'm in the same boat with my Core Duo Mac Mini - 2GB is the max and I just have to live with it.

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It flashes a firmware for a later model which does not contain a (soft) limit of 2GB. It works fine as reported by people in the thread I linked to.

Just in case you're interested in bringing your mini up to 3GB ;)

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but it seems promising. I just don't want to have to update my Mini's CPU to a C2D since it's a major PITA with the spring loaded clips that usually break and all. If I can keep my original Core Duo CPU and still upgrade to 3GB RAM it would be sweet. Thanks for linking it!

14. iMac2006Girl thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to thank everyone for their replies! All of the input has helped me greatly. When I post, I like to ask the simple questions sometimes to make sure I'm off to a good start. I knew my model, but I wanted to be positive that I wasn't missing something basic about my specific iMac product.

Often times, people get involved in a big project without thoroughly going through the basics (like understanding what they truly have) when that was the main issue to begin with! This just means that I also greatly appreciate the reply of flashing the firmware because that was what I was hinting at - responses like that! I like to know the loopholes as well as basic info. Can't go wrong knowing all of the ways around this issue! I LOVE my iMac & would hate to part with it just because I needed more memory! It's good & healthy to broaden your horizon & learn more about your products! Thanks, again!