Add Music to Music App from iPad? Possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DNichter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

This may seem strange so let me explain. I am working on getting to an iPad only future and sell my MacBook Pro. There are still a few roadblocks, but I am close. One of which is the situation I was in yesterday and was wondering if anyone knew of a possible solution. So I downloaded an album yesterday directly from a band, that I paid for, in mp3 form. Is it possible to one, download this album directly from my iPad (I am pretty sure this is a yes, just looking for best app, documents 5?), and then two, add this music right into my iTunes/Apple Music library? I played around with it yesterday, but had to resort to using my MacBook to do this. Any help is appreciated.

2. Zimmerman macrumors newbie

Zimmerman

As far as I know: You can download and save music on an ios-device, either in icloud-drive or in dropbox or other services and listen to it right there from the files/directory-view. It never enters your music-collection in the Music-app though. To do that you need iTunes-match and the old laptop to send it up to the cloud. Or you will need to sync it manually to each device with iTunes.

You might want to look at the app Workflow to easily download files and save em where you like. I use Workflow alot for many things and it has been a great tool to solve the last few problems I had when I finally abandoned my laptop a few months ago.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Unless you bought it from Apple, you are SOL. That's how they get you.

4. DNichter thread starter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Yea, that is what is super frustrating to me. For the most part it works, as I have Apple Music, and have been able to use it and find new music almost exclusively, but there are always going to be those times where I want to add something manually. I have a QNap TS-251+ which has really helped with this whole transition and I believe it has the ability to act as an iTunes media server. I am thinking that maybe I could load all of my music there and then add directly to the server. That sounds too easy though and I am sure I will hit some roadblocks.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    Thank you. I will check out Workflow. I am not sure if I am going to be able to get where I want so I may have to resort to always keeping a computer around just in case.

5. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

There was/is an elaborate workaround to adding music to your iTunes library but it involves remotely logging into a dedicated computer and or syncing a dropbox folder to your iTunes folder... on a dedicated computer.

Other than that, like everyone else says is to switch to a third party app and migrating everything there.

Itunes Music Subscription has my money...

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

This is the Apple/iOS ecosystem; safe, secure, and largely intuitive... But restrictive as hell if you want to do anything aside from exactly what Apple wants you to.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

As others have said, this is not possible yet. There are rumors that apple might allow this in the future. But honestly this is one of the reasons the iPad can't replace my laptop just yet.

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Agreed. I still need a PC to manage the content on my iOS devices.

9. DNichter thread starter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Yes, I use the app Screens to log on remotely for now, but I would like to sell my MacBook in the near future. That all may change after WWDC though.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2016 ---
    Hoping you're right. I am looking forward to big improvements for iPad's in iOS 10. They need to accelerate that development if they want to be touting the iPad as PC replacement.

10. woahipo macrumors newbie

11. MMan5797 macrumors member

This is exactly why I can't go to an iPad-only solution at the moment. Hope they change this in the near future.