Add new default search engine to Safari preferences?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dylan11, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Dylan11 macrumors newbie

Dylan11

Is this possible to add/modify the 3 default search engine default options from Safari general preferences. I detest both Yahoo and Google...and would prefer anonymous engine such as duckduckgo.com

But there does not appear to be any way to add or change the default engine options?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I got the DuckDuckGo Safari extension, after that I clicked on the DDG icon in the Safari menu bar, toward the bottom right of the DDG search page is a button to install DuckDuckGo as the default search engine. I did that and it works great.

https://duckduckgo.com

4. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I like that Chrome has this built in. There is a “Manage search engines” section in Chrome preferences where you can change the default search engine, add other search engines, and even assign custom abbreviations to them. For example, here are some of the search shortcuts I’m using:

g Google
    w Wikipedia
    a Amazon
    d Dictionary.com
    e Etymonline.com
    mw Merriwam-Webster.com
    wa Wolframalpha.com
    we Weather.com

So all I have to do to search Wikipedia is get to the URL bar, usually with ⌘L or ⌘T, then type ‘w’ followed by a space and whatever I want to search for, then press return and I’m there.

5. Dylan11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dylan11

Thanks...so is the search done via the actual extension button on Safari toolbar or just use the regular address/search space?

It still shows Google/Yahoo/Bing as the only 3 defaults in Safari general preferences.

6. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Yes, once you've loaded the DDG extension (Click on Safari/Safari Extensions, then click on DuckDuckGo and install it), it loads a button onto your Safari browser window menu bar --which you can click on to use search. But if you load their search window, you also have the option of making DDG the default search tool without clicking on any buttons, just use the regular address/search field.

You also have the options of searching with Google & Bing, etc. from DDG too, from the DDG search results page.

Attached Files: