Add-on needed to control digital audio volume.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blanka, Feb 16, 2013.

1. blanka macrumors 68000

I have a nice amp with speakers, but it does not have a volume control. The audio interface I use is a Phonic Firefly, with Firewire connection for 192khz/24 bit DA conversion.

Using this interface disables OSX volume control.

So the total chain delivers totally loud music or silence, but no volume control.

I know purists may start saying that is the nature of digital sound, you are silly to want volume control, but Windows just offers it. It is just a matter of being customer friendly or just ignorant. I think Apple is ignorant in this case.

I'm looking for a tool to offer volume control on this Firewire Device. All topics I found suggest the use of Soundflower. On paper the tool does what I want, and it works as I want, but it is buggy as hell. After 3 minutes the audio stream locks op and you get the typical DTS/DD sound when you put the digital stream into a D/A converter without decoding it. You have to reset it by choosing a new buffer size. Which does not work if you need to do it every 3 minutes.

So does anyone have an alternative to Soundflower?

Now I run iTunes in Windows in Parallels to play my music... :eek:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why don't you just use iTunes' volume control instead of Mac OS X's?

3. blanka thread starter macrumors 68000

It is too course.
    If you put it on the next to silent/mute position, it already is pretty loud.
    With Soundflower you can fine-tune it quite well.

And system sounds are quite annoying too at high volume (same problem with that slider, it is too rough).

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What kind of amplifier doesn't have a volume knob?

From images of the Phonic Firefly, it seems to have a master volume control. Does that not work with digital input?