Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamjayakumars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Hi, I'm new to MAC OS X 10.8.4, basically windows user.
How to connect my company Printer "HP LaserJet M5025"
to my MAC via WIFI

The problem is i need to add IP address, Username and Password to take a printout.

My IP Address for printer is like "\\192.168.2.2\printer1"
My username for printer is like "Companyprinter\ZZZ"
Password is "xxxx"

In WINDOWS, I go to RUN and enter "\\192.168.2.2\printer1" then username and password, so it easily connected to the printer.

But, i don't see the option to enter username and password in MAC

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi, I'm new to MAC OS X 10.8.4, basically windows user.
How to connect my company Printer "HP LaserJet M5025"
to my MAC via WIFI

The problem is i need to add IP address, Username and Password to take a printout.

My IP Address for printer is like "\\192.168.2.2\printer1"
My username for printer is like "Companyprinter\ZZZ"
Password is "xxxx"

In WINDOWS, I go to RUN and enter "\\192.168.2.2\printer1" then username and password, so it easily connected to the printer.

But, i don't see the option to enter username and password in MAC

It's basically the same on the Mac (assuming the printer showed up as a shared folder in Windows). In finder, pick go->connect to server. You then put in SMB://192.168.2.2/printer1 and the printer should show up as a file share.

In my experience, HP drivers for Windows were horrible but their drivers for OSX are great. Perhaps you can add the printer in system preferences and find it that way instead of mapping a drive to the thing (which is what the windows command you are using would appear to do).

Another thing to do is point a web browser at the printer ip address. There could be some settings there that make it easier for you to connect. I wouldn't bother downloading drivers from HP unless you are sure they aren't included with OSX. There were over 3GB of printer drivers included with OSX the last time I checked so chances are your Mac already knows how to print to your HP printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.