Add Question for Free App

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mgav1210, Feb 12, 2013.

1. mgav1210 macrumors newbie

Right now I'm in the development process of creating a game for the iphone. The game is played horizontally and I don't have room to fit the add banner on the bottom. Using Iad or Admob, I have not decided yet because I am still doing research. Will I still be able to create good revenue from having a full screen add pop-up every x amount of seconds.Or is there any better solution for this to make more money off adds. It is a puzzle game so I was thinking have the add pop up then the user will have to cancel out of it. Im new to this development process so any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks, Mike

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Unless the APIs for either of those services have changed since I last used them, I don't think they'll ever display ads full screen unless the user taps on the banner.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

iAd and AdMob only seem to support banner-sized ads for iPhone until, as ArtOfWarfare said, you click on them. I'm pretty sure there are other ad services that would provide you full-screen ads (I've seem them as interstitials in other apps) but I don't know, off the top-of-my-head, who provides them.

P.S. I don't want this to sound too much like a spelling nitpick, but in order to aid your research, you should note that they are 'ads' (short for advertisements) not 'adds'.

4. mgav1210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha good point, as you said there are other ad supported services besides the banner, but will not using the traditional banner like style really hurt my profits from ads.
    Thanks

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Is that a question? If so, it depends. Ad revenue is driven mostly by impressions and, most-importantly, click-throughs. If your interstitial full-screen ads are providing enough impressions and click-throughs, then you should be okay. I would hazard a guess that it seems to be working for the popular apps, like Smule's Magic Piano, that use this approach.

6. mgav1210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh I see, I was thinking about having a landscape banner for the main screen then after they complete a puzzle it will run a Full Screen Ad. Right now from my research Iad does not support full screen ads. Admob does support it but I think to only a small amount of publishers. Do I need to run Adwhirl in this case, or is it separate because they are running on different ad placements.
    Thanks

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I think Draw Something does this. You might want to look into what ad service they're using.

8. mgav1210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys the app is just about done, making some final design changes and ready to add my ads and start testing it on testflight. I have decided to go with Iad for the banner and then I'm still deciding if I use Chartboost or Adcolony for my full screen ads. Has anyone had any experiences with these two ad agencies or any more suggestions, I'm hoping to have everything finished within 2 weeks.
    Thanks