Add SSD to 2011 27 inch iMac. Advice please.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ElCani, Jan 28, 2013.

1. ElCani macrumors member

Hi all.

I own a 2011 27 inch 2.7GHz iMac with a 2TB HDD. I want to add a 256GB SSD (likely a Samsung 830) and then create a Fusion drive. I've watched this video and I'm confident I can do the work, I'd just like some info about the parts I need to buy, specifically the cables.

I'll need:

• Tools
    • SSD
    • Doubles sided sticky pads
    • SATA data/power cable(s). This is the bit I'm slightly confused about and I'd be very grateful if someone could provide a link to the correct part(s), available in the UK.

Many thanks in advance! :)

2. DrJack6 macrumors newbie

Here is a link to the perfect tool/data cable set you need. May I also recommend going with OWC SSD? Built for macs and very fast with 3-5 year warrenty. It is an easy install if you already build computers.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIM27SSD11/

3. ElCani thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I don't need to buy all the tools and I want something that ships from the UK. OWC do have a kit without tools, but $30 for a cable and some sticky pads is crazy, plus I'd then have to pay international shipping and import taxes/VAT.

Can anyone help with sourcing that cable from the UK?

Thanks. :)

4. angusmcfisher macrumors member

Unfortunately, I've looked high and low for the cable, and not been able to find one in the UK. The SATA cable needed is 13pin female to 22 pin female, and for some reason only exists in the US. I just bought this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables-Slimline-Female/dp/B0056OB8GK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Of course, you need an SSD, Torx set, Suction cup and screwdriver.

For the suction cup, I'm using my TomTom windscreen mount and my phones windscreen mount (all being well when I receive the SATA cable from the US!)

Hope this helps,

Lee

PS. This is a good guide:

http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

5. ElCani thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Lee, I've actually already purchased that. Good to have your confirmation that it's the right one!

Cheers.

6. angusmcfisher macrumors member

Just to confirm that all went well for me. Good luck mate

7. ElCani thread starter macrumors member

Excellent, well done. Out of interest, what SSD did you put in and have you created a fusion drive?

8. angusmcfisher macrumors member

I put in an Intel X25-M G2 160GB that I initially had in my MacBook Pro. I'm not bothering with a Fusion I don't think. I haven't looked into it though :p