Add subtitles to a DVD movie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by R-men, Jul 28, 2007.

1. R-men macrumors newbie

I'm comparetively new to Mac world and i am still learning a lot about the software. so my question is, does anybody know how I can add subtitles to a DVD movie (not copyright protected). The movie is shot with a professional camcorder (don't know the format, though) and I need to translate the text into English and add add the english subtitles to the video.

Any software I need to have? currently I have only the basics: Tiger, and iLife. Will iMovie do it or do I need a special software for it. If I need a special software, can you give any links were i can download it?

thanks a lot.

2. 66217 Guest

In iMovie you can put text into the movie.

Select Editing (one of the four bottoms at the lower-left corner of the screen, and then select the option of Text and then Subtitles.
    They aren't subtitles per se, but you can make them look like subtitles.

If it is a very large movie you may find it hard to do (would take you a lot of time). You can always consider FCE, but maybe there are some other programs that are specialized in only subtitles.

3. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

If you have access to DVD Studio Pro (part of Final Cut Studio), you can create a text file that contains timecode in and out points, and the text to be displayed. This text file can be imported into the timeline and fonts, colors, etc assigned. Up to 32 different tracks can be imported for different languages. These will be displayed using the DVD player's subtitle feature, and can be turned on and off by the viewer.

The text file format is: Timecode in , timecode out , subtitle

An Example would be:

00:12:45:10 , 00:12:54:00 , But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
    00:12:55:05 , 00:12:59:20 , It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
    00:13:01:00 , 00:13:05:10 , Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,

4. R-men thread starter macrumors newbie

Roco and Peel, thanks for quick replies . actually I don't have access to DVD Studion Pro, so I guess I will need to play around with iMovie to find what Roco suggested.

The movie in question is a 20 minute movie in Armenian which i need to translate into English with subtitles.

I actually tried to find the "Editing (one of the four bottoms at the lower-left corner of the screen, and then select the option of Text and then Subtitles" but will try to look for it again, probably i missed something.

cheers!

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

OS X: Miyu
    Windows: Aegissub.

If you can, go with the latter. :D