Add Support for New Segoe Font?

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Hey mods,

Would it be possible to add support for the new Segoe font (included with IE7 for Windows and Windows Vista) to MR? I would love to be able to post using this new font, which is very readable at small sizes.

Clay

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
redAPPLE said:
my 0.02 $.

i would do my very best to not support (meaning use) anything m$.

cu.
I wonder how many things you would miss if you ever found out how many things use MS

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
clayj said:
Well... Tahoma is supported. And that doesn't come on a Mac, or even in Office for the Mac.
It comes on my Mac :confused: (Tahoma that is). And I think it was there before I installed Office.

I also remember my old OS9 iMac having Tahoma on it.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
robbieduncan said:
Can you not just select another font and edit the name in the FONT= tag?
Good question. I've set the FONT tag for this text to Segoe UI... and it works! Of course, if you don't have Segoe UI installed on YOUR system, you won't see it in that font.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
clayj said:
Good question. I've set the FONT tag for this text to Segoe UI... and it works! Of course, if you don't have Segoe UI installed on YOUR system, you won't see it in that font.
Yeah, and it looks nasty. So maybe you could just post in the same font as everyone else does? :rolleyes:

Attachments

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Could you imagine if every post looked like this? Plus, this is MacRumors, not HastaLaVistaRumors

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Or we could just remove fonts.....Hardly anyone uses them any way and they get annoying when people do. Thanks I like the default.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Gods, please grant clayj the possibility of using that obscure font, and please, oh please, GET RID OF COMIC SANS MS :eek: :eek: :eek:

My retina just suffered irreversible damage from skoker's last post. I *hate* Comic Sans MS™.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
I just luv proving points.

Or would this be sticking it to the man?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That person who only posts in Courier or American Typewriter or whatever it is annoys me, but I trust ClayJ's style. ;) Besides, what would it hurt? 90+% of us can't see that font anyway! ;) :eek: :D

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
edesignuk said:
Yeah, and it looks nasty. So maybe you could just post in the same font as everyone else does? :rolleyes:
Thats not Segoe UI. Thats Times New Roman or an Apple alternative.

This is Segoe UI:

Attachments

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Segoe looks like poo next to the default font on 10.4 w/ Safari:
It seems like people are making a big deal for something that's only going to affect an extremely small portion of the forum users, those who have PCs, use the forums with their PCs, and are willing to try IE7 beta.

Why not make your own stylesheet for the page, and change the default font to Segoe, instead of screwing up your posts for almost everyone except yourself?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
dotdotdot said:
Thats not Segoe UI. Thats Times New Roman or an Apple alternative.
Really? No way? </sarcasm>

Obviously I know that :rolleyes: What I am saying is that since most of us don't have Segoe UI it will be replaced with a very ugly looking font, and so personally I'd rather you didn't change the FONT tags to use it as it will then look crap for everyone else.