Add to a playlist in iTunes Match

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Dec 4, 2011.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

So I signed up for Match a week ago and just realized there is a button that I had to turn on for it to even begin to work on my iPhone 4S. Now that it's on the music section of my iPhone within iTunes doesnt give me the option of what to sync (playlist wise) on my device. I get that I can create a new playlist and add songs to that playlist but what if I just want to have certain playlists on my device? How does that work?

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but here goes anyway. I, too, was confused about iTunes Match when I first started but I think I got it anyway. To create playlists, you have to do so on your iTunes in your computer and that you will sync to the cloud and therefore will sync to the iTunes in your phone. This works in reverse as well, what you create in your phone, will sync to the iTunes on your computer. The ability to create Genius playlists on your phone has been removed, even though the selection appears from time to time (probably a bug). You can, however, still create them on your computer.

Basically with iTunes Match, your phone's iTunes is a replica of your computer's iTunes.

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Thanks..I get how to create a playlist but how do I tell it which ones I want to be able to play on my device?

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

What is confusing? it's not that your iPhone's library is a replica of your iTunes library, it's that they both are the same. They are both synchronized to iCloud. on each local device you can pick and choose which songs you want (from the iCloud 'database') but if you make a new playlist on your iPhone it will show up on all of your other devices, including your computer's iTunes, within seconds without a traditional wifi/cable itunes sync.

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

With iTunes match, it will just show them all, but not all the songs are on your device. Just play the ones you want.

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Play? I don't think you can do that unless you have AirPlay. Or, if your thinking about selectively putting certain playlists on your device from iTunes or vice versa, that's not possible either.

Confusing? No, not really just took me a while to get used to it as I prefer to have all my music locally stored. But, your respond did confuse me with your common sense argument.

7. MBHockey, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Your implication was that it's iTunes on your computer that acts as the "database".

This is not the case since it is iCloud that every device, regardless of its OS, syncs with. You can delete all your music from your computer and it will still appear on all your devices since they are syncing with directly with iCloud, not your computer. New playlist on an iOS device will show up on your computer since everything is syncing with iCloud -- you can make new playlists from any device; not just your computer.

8. creativedogmedia, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Guess I am still "confused." I want to select which playlists appear on my iPhone. I have 4 created in iTunes and they all 4 sit on my iPhone. Also, my 28gb of music apparently is all on my iPhone as well..and it's causing my other data to push it over the 32gb mark by 8gb....wtf?

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

If your music has a cloud icon next to it then it hasn't actually been downloaded to the device; it's just available for download (takes up less space while still giving you the option to download it on demand).

playlists will automatically sync over the air for all your devices. I don't think you can have different playlists for each device (by design). The only thing that is unique to a specific device is exactly which songs are stored locally.

10. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Ok I have been curious about a few things with itunes match...

I have about 6 gigs of music. I know that by using itunes match, even if it matches 70 percent or 50 percent, that it won't count towards my icloud 5GB limit...what about the music that it can't be matched and has to be uploaded?

Also, what happens if I get more music after the initial scan, lets say 'from a friend' lol, will it me to add them to my itunes match/icloud database, or is it the one time initial scan, and from then on I have to purchase new music from itunes only?

11. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

In the Music app, there's a playlist button you can choose that should have all of your playlists there. You don't have to sync anything. You can pull music down to your device as it plays. If you see your playlists just touch the first song and it'll start caching and playing as it downloads.

Any music not matched will get uploaded to the cloud and it'll be available to you on your devices. It doesn't count against your iCloud storage. iTunes Match will continuously work so whatever music you add to your library, gets automatically matched or uploaded.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

He's saying he wants to have unique playlists for different devices which doesn't seem to be currently possible.

13. lauraalonso macrumors newbie

So if I create playlists on my computer, it's NOT(?) actually copying files back to my hard drive? I did a clean install to a new hard drive & merged all my music together. It's a hot mess! When I started creating a playlist to get reorganized, it freaked me out because it felt like I was copying files back onto the hard drive.