Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
ok thx... actually all that did was send it to notes as .pdf.. I really only needed the text.

I found just selecting text in email and "share" on popup does it fine.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Unfortunately you have to have iCloud Notes enabled or you can no longer share *into* Notes from another app.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I think OP does have iCloud Notes on, just that they were looking at an Apple support note on how to send a text file/text file attachment to Notes vs wanting to send the text of an email to Notes.

But, they did find a workaround re: do a select all text and then send that to Notes.

The whole send to Notes share sheet does seem to be app dependent. But also make sense re: content/source type. For example, I can send this forum page to Notes, but it will take the link vs actual text (some sense: URL content is/can be dynamic; can always generate a PDF and send that to capture as-is at that time). Emails, loaded with images, tables, header information, so, lots of extra stuff that maybe makes more sense to share as a PDF (as noted by OP). Did a quick test of what the support notes says, and it still works: created an email with an attached .txt and .rtf file, both were sent to Notes as the full documents.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
It's ridiculous that you could share into IMAP-hosted Notes *before* iCloud Notes became a thing, but since, you can't. IMAP certainly hasn't changed in the meantime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.