Added 16 GB to my 2011 iMac (pics)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aComicBookFan, Apr 13, 2012.

1. aComicBookFan macrumors member

A few days ago I ordered a set of 2x8GB RAM modules. They arrived today and I wasted no time in getting them installed. :)

The memory is Patriot Memory and the part number is PSA-316G1333SK. This kit is specially branded and marketed as being Mac compatible. I bought this set of RAM from Amazon and it looks like the price has dropped about $40 since I ordered it on April 9th! :mad: Unfortunately, Amazon does not offer post order price matching so I'm stuck knowing that I missed out on a potentially lower price. Next month I will get another batch of 16 GB and hopefully I catch this new lower price.

Anyways, here is what the package looks like.

[​IMG]

Inside the cheap plastic packaging are two memory modules. The cover sheet opens up with some basic instructions on how to install the hardware.

[​IMG]

The memory is Patriot branded. Everything looks clean, new, and fresh.

[​IMG]

Installing the memory was real easy. I put the iMac on a towel. This helps protect the screen from getting scratched.

[​IMG]

The access panel to the memory is located on the underside of the computer. Three screws hold the panel in place. They are not torqued down real tight. Just use a Philips screwdriver with a large point size.

[​IMG]

After removing the panel you need to untuck the small plastic flaps covering the memory and the free slot.

[​IMG]

Slide in the new memory.

[​IMG]

Put everything back together and power it up. After booting up click on the Apple logo and then click on "About This Mac".

[​IMG]

voila! My computer now has 20 GB of memory. :D

I am running a memory tester right now. It's called Rember. The program seems to be exercising every memory cell by performing all sorts of boolean logic operations on it. The tests take a long time and they slow down the computer considerably. Nothing has crashed so far and I haven't had any system errors. I'll let it run at least one complete cycle.

-=- Boris

2. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Looking great. Thanks for the pictures as well.

You did a great upgrade job....

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Have you noticed much speed difference from before the upgrade? Great pictures by the way. Can't wait to get my 2012 iMac and do the same.

4. mrmarts, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

mrmarts macrumors 65816

I got a iMac 2010 model with 8gb of ram since I installed osx lion it's going slow like on windows boot up

5. michaelonghurst macrumors newbie

Great pictures, I always assumed this would be fairly difficult to do but I'm now pretty confident I could do this when I get the new iMac.

6. aComicBookFan thread starter macrumors member

Individual benchmarks don't seem to indicate that the computer is faster with more memory. In fact, some run slower!

When we run the benchmarks we always tend to close all other applications so that the resources are as free as possible. The benchmark programs usually don't require a lot of memory. They run just as well with 4 GB or 20 GB of RAM.

I installed some updates from Apple and who knows what library files were replaced. They could have extra code that is running in the name of security.

The real perception of speed is less beach balls and faster response when there are multiple applications running. I definitely sense that. Where is the peak benefit? Is it at 8 GB? 12 GB? 20 GB is no doubt overkill.

Here are my new numbers. The first number is with 4 GB of RAM and the second number is with 20 GB of RAM

Geekbench 32-bit
    7956 vs. 8075

Cinebench CPU
    4.27 vs. 4.26

Cinebench Open GL
    47.02 vs. 46.95

Handbrake Benchmark
    44.486015 fps and 4:12 vs. 43.095505 fps and 5:34

-=- Boris

7. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Try running the 64 bit version of Geekbench. The 32 bit version can't take advantage of all that extra RAM.

8. aComicBookFan thread starter macrumors member

I shelled out the $13 and got the 64-bit Geekbench code unlocked. The benchmark result went up to 8803.

-=- Boris

9. mike693 macrumors member

For me, the change from 8GB to 16GB removed all remaining slow downs due to memory. The iMac was plenty fast with 8GB, but could encounter slight pauses when having to page out when working with very large files. With 16GB, this no longer occurs, and I have enough RAM to keep every app and doc I need open simultaneously, including a VM, without the need to quit anything to free up memory; this makes for "instant" response for most everything. My page outs are now less than 0.1% of page ins. YMMV, depending on what you use your Mac for.

Enjoy your upgrade!

10. gusping macrumors 6502

20gb!? i thought you could only go up to 16gb, whats the limit on a 2011 iMac, 32gb of ram? 8gb * 4?

11. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

You can install, 4 * 2GB, 4 * 4GB and 4 * 8GB. I have seen 32GB of RAM cost on sale less then $300. At the time I installed 16GB, in my 2011 iMac, 32GB of RAM cost somewhere north of $600. RAM prices are now pretty damn cheap.

----------

From what I understand, you will get better performance if you use matched pairs of RAM, 4 * 2GB, 4 * 4GB or 4 * 8GB.