Added a line for subsidized price...Quick question though

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvoNiner1986, Oct 10, 2011.

1. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

When my 4s comes, do I have to activate it on it's "new" number that was assigned before I put the SIM card in it with the number that I want to use?

Thanks for the help guys :apple:

2. Codepiink macrumors regular

I'm actually going to be doing the same thing as you. I believe all you have to do is call your wireless provider and give them the sim number and they will transfer your number to the iPhone sim and then reassign your new number to the sim that you have now.

3. EvoNiner1986 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking as well. :cool:

If anyone else has a definite answer, please chime in :)

4. Codepiink macrumors regular

Oh, and that's assuming you aren't using an iPhone now. If you are using the iPhone, you just pop your micro sim into the 4S and assign the new number to that new, unused sim card. I called AT&T to confirm this. I also used to work for T-Mobile and used to do this sort of thing all the time.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Check the Upgrade Guide at the top of the forum. I believe the answer is in there.

6. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I did this last year with the 4. When you get the 4S, put the sim from your 4 in it. Turn it on and restore from your 4 backup. That's it. No need to call anyone. Make sure you backup your 4 first. I still have my trimmed down sim in my 4 from the 3GS (or whichever one was the last model to use the full size sim.)

7. EvoNiner1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for the help guys. So I won't need a new SIM then it looks. The micro SIM card that the new 4s comes with can just be "swapped" to my other number, and the full size SIM that's in my dumb phone can be put on the new, assigned number :)

8. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Unless you plan on using your added line, there's no need to have a phone tied to it. You'll just be paying the extra 9.99/mo. It doesn't need to be active. Mines not. Just make sure they don't have a data plan tied to it. I had to call 3 months in a row to get it removed. No problems since. If your current phone is a dumb phone, google how to trim your sim down to a micro sim. It's easy. It'll save you the pain of having to call to get the sim cards all swapped around to make sure they're on the right line. You shouldnt have to call AT&T, or whoever your carrier is.

1) open your 4S box
    2) gawk over the 4S
    3) remove sim from 4S
    4) remove sim from current phone
    5) put it in your 4S
    6) turn on your 4S
    7) walk around the house trying to trick Siri for the next few days

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Can someone tell me how the economics of this works? 10$ a month for 24 months is 240$ plus taxes and fees. How is this cheaper?

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's only cheaper if you had to pay full price. It's not cheaper than an early upgrade or standard upgrade.

11. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

How did you go about not tying the added line to your new phone? If I order my 4S through a new added line, wouldn't I have to pay smartphone charges as well + the $9.99? I'm a little confused.

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's cheaper because most people plan on upgrading again next year. Adding a line this year will leave your main line open for an upgrade next year. If you do an early upgrade this year, to upgrade next you'll need to early upgrade again. Meaning you'll being paying that extra $250 twice.

So either you pay the $500 in two lump sums of $250 or the $240 in $10 per month increments over two years.

----------

You can drop the data plan if you put the new 4S microsim in a microsim adapter and put it in a dumbphone. Or I think you can just give them the IMEI of a dumphone and they'll associate the microsim with it.

13. EvoNiner1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help man I appreciate it! :)

So I'll be cutting down the SIM for the line that I want to use in my new 4s (the number that I want to continue using, which is currently in a dumb phone)

In order for the data plan to be removed from my new line though I have to associate it with a dumb phone correct? So to do this, I'll get an adapter for the micro sim and stick it in the dumb phone.

Sounds easy enough :D