Added airport express to network, now getting self-assigned ip on computer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrkramer, Jan 4, 2014.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm posting this here since I'm pretty sure it's somehow related to the new airport express I added to the network. I recently replaced our old router with an Airport Time Capsule and everything was working fine except the wifi signal was weak at one side of the house, which had been an issue before too. I then went and added an airport express to extend the network into the area with poor signal, and things worked well to begin with, but then two of our computers had an issue where they were getting self assigned ip addresses and I've had the same issue with one iPhone connecting to the network. I'm guessing something is set up worn with the airport express, but I'm not sure exactly how to fix it.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have only one DHCP server on your subnet?

It's like Highlander, there can be only one!

What were your choices in setting up the Express?

B

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think there is only one DHCP server. When I set up the express I used airport utility to set it up to extend the network. I think it was pretty much just one button and typing in the password to my existing network.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This particular problem can occur when the Express is out of range of the main base station. The settings declare it to still broadcast the SSID, but it is unable to provide IPs from the DHCP server (the main base station).

Try a hard reset and set it up once again to extend the network. You may want to try a different placement for the Express, as well as verifying that they have the latest firmware. In my experience on a network of eight Expresses and one Extreme serving over 75 users, 7.6.4 has been a flawless update so far.