Added an SSD - How do I clean up the other drive?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dmunz, Apr 7, 2015.

1. dmunz macrumors regular

So I successfully added a Samsung 850 PRO to my late 2012 mini and have it up and running alongside the original 1TB drive. I want to go back and clean up the original drive to free up some space. How can I safely delete all the OS files that are now on the SSD?

Also, while setting up the new drive DropBox insisted on putting all the local files on the SSD. I could move the files to the old drive but then programs on the SSD would not find them (and they did not sync.) This is not really a big deal since I accepted that they have to be on the SSD and I have room but if I had ordered a smaller SSD I could have been in a bind. Is this normal behavior for DropBox?

TIA
    DLM

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just go to the root of the old drive and it should look like my screenshot. Just delete everything except the Users folder, as that contains your personal data.

I am assuming here you already moved your apps to the SSD.

Yes, Dropbox by default installs on the drive the OS is on.

[​IMG]

3. therocksal macrumors newbie

Quick question: If the whole drive is copied over to a new SSD using carbon copy, wouldnt the personal folder also be copied over? Does that matter where that personal folder is?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it would be copied over with CCC.

Yes, it does matter where that folder is. It is by default expected to be in the Users folder on the same drive as the OS. There is a setting where you can move it, but it can be tricky.

5. therocksal macrumors newbie

Thanks. So, I will copy over everything to my new SSD, including that folder. Thanks.