Added Backup to Time Machine thoughts

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rugmankc, Apr 7, 2015.

1. rugmankc, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

My ext WD crashed and had to pull out old Lacie and make a new Time Machine back up.

Will probably replace my iMac with a new Apple laptop.

What extra backups do you guys do beyond Time machine?

I could just hook up older LaCie once a month or whenever I feel I need a new extra backup.

Use Time Capsule/Router my son is giving me in addition to ext HD and/or Super Duper to either external storage device mentioned.

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

A real clone is always a good idea - Super Duper or CCCloner.
    I personally don't use TM, but keep 2-3 clones. Many do both.

3. rugmankc, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

Is it a true full image like on my Android rooted phones. HP Utility/Drivers, everything copied? All apps and data etc?

And Super Duper will put the iMac backup to the macbook, no issue.
    ----------

I was thinking on getting the 512gb. But, if I can drag my movies to the 2TB WD ext don't need 512gb. Assume ext should work that way even with Time Machine on it.

----------

Well it worked on copying movie to LaCie, so 256gb should be good. WD should work the same. Not sure what LaCie is formatted as, but doubt that matters.

----------

kinda funny, i had a shirt-pocket account for years and just closed it. thought i would never need it--:)

4. mic j macrumors 68030

I use a combination of TM and SuperDuper. I have 2 portable SD drives. Each month, I do a SD backup to one of those drives, swapping them out every other month and keeping the most recent (at most 30 days old) at home and the older one (at most 60 days old) in a bank vault. If you need to re-install everything it is much faster and easier to do using an SD backup. TM is slooowwww for that. For me TM is better used for a file or something you need to recover for some reason.

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Super makes a complete bootable copy. I also formats the drive first time in and for registered users, you can set it to smart mode and it only adds new items and thus is quite fast. CCC does the same thing.

Best to clone/backup each machine. Laptops need a few things an imac clone would not have. It's not "That" smart ;)

6. rugmankc, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

Thanks guys, was out of town. Got the 256gb Retina MBP. All set up and working great. Very happy I didn't wait and get the 12 inch. This is the perfect size for me at home. And my "gigantic" ;) 21.5 iMac is off the Dining Room table. Wife's happy about that.

I bought a 2TB LaCie Porsche external. Working well and very quiet and doesn't get warm.

I never got a virus before. But, today after setting up the MBP, I was adding a couple apps from internet and clicked on a bad site. Thought it was Shutterfly but I guess not. :( Got infected. It just hit the web yesterday and forget name. But, it put MacKeeper on laptop. Don't think MBP came with it. Got a lot of phishing and directed to other sites and lots of ads. Booted from recovery and ran my 4 hour old TM BackUp. All good.

I installed mostly with File Sharing btw iMac and MBP. The TM restore took 20 minutes. It seemed to restore everything. But, I will think about SD and CCC.
    Perhaps I will make 3 partitions on the LaCie to add the SD/CCC backups. Have 2 partitions now. 560gb for TM and 1.44TB for Media etc.

Really like this laptop--:apple::apple::):)

----------

Oh, a question.

I now have a Late 2008 21.5 iMac. My son thought maybe Apple would take it in for recycle/refurb and/or give me a store credit. What would be best way to dispose of it. Hate to sell, as it crashes a few times a week and just needs rebooted. But, otherwise fine.

NVM found the website on this--