Added memory to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waynep, Feb 2, 2012.

1. waynep macrumors 6502

I just took my MBP (2010 17") from the stock 4GB to 8GB with memory from OWC. I was getting page outs before and run a virtual machine on occasion so my memory usage was sometime hitting the edge.

Best $47 I spent! . . . Now if SSD prices would come down someday I'll go for one of those also. I want a 500GB one and they are a bit too pricey at this point.

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Cool. Glad that it solved your issues. I had to do the same going to 16GB due to page outs.

As far as the SSD, get what you need now and what you want later when the pricers drop. That is what I did. Really needed one, so I got a 180 and still have 30 left free (just stopped carrying around all of the bloat I really don't need (and always have a firewire drive around for some of the work needed, but not all the time necessity data). I will get the larger drive when the prices drop and then gift this drive to my server, in place of the optical, or in the wife's MBP. Either way it isn't wasted and all win. Just my $0.02. Best decision I have made in a long time.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You could get a smaller SSD for the bootdrive and then keep your original one to keep the amount of storage you need.

4. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I upgraded to 8GB as well, and I noticed it instantly. I agree with the SSD prices, but I don't use my optical drive so I just got 2 of the 120GB's. I understand that might not work for most people, but it is nice for me. Once the thunderbolt externals drop in price I can transfer my files in a couple hours instead of almost a day.

5. waynep thread starter macrumors 6502

I am using 216 of my 500GB drive. I have 46GB iPhoto library and a 72GB iTunes library. One of the things I wanted to do when I switched to my Mac from my PC a year ago was to keep things simple but functional. I like one large drive for everything. I do occasionally use the CD/DVD drive and could probably live without it. I could squeeze into a 240GB SSD but that would be tight. I really want a 500GB or so. I might think about getting a smaller one for OSX and apps, and maybe moving the iTunes and iPhoto libraries to another drive but it would have to be internal. I don't want to carry around a external USB drive. I like picking up my MBP and having everything with me.

I noticed apps start faster now with more memory. I suspect that OSX keeps some of that in RAM after an app is closed. So not on the first time, but successive times, it seems quicker.

Maybe after my son gets married in May, prices will have come down and the budget will be there! :)