Added PCIe SSD in 2014 Mini - WTB Screws?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bookemdano, Feb 16, 2017.

1. bookemdano macrumors member

I successfully added a PCIe SSD (purchased from eBay) to my 2014 Mini (which had 1TB HDD) by purchasing the SSD cable from aliexpress. Disk Utility offered to create a Fusion drive out of it--was super easy!

My OCD is bugging me though because I put it all back together without the extra screws that are normally there to fasten down the SSD and the SSD Cable plug (as shown in steps 10 and 13 of this article: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+SSD+Replacement/32646). Specifically it mentions:

Qty 1 5mm T5 screw to hold down the SSD board
    Qty 2 2.6mm T6 screws to hold down the SSD cable bracket

I would really like to obtain these screws and properly finish the job. But I'm not really sure of the best way to obtain them (preferably without spending a ton of money). Anyone been in this (or similar) situation before? I figure I'm not going to find these at the local hardware store.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

You might. Those are standard Torx screws. Ask for T5 and T6 Torx screws and you'll get em. Not proprietary or anything.International standard.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Try a well-equipped hardware store.

If you can't find the exact length, get a slightly longer one and put some washers on it to "take up the slack".