Adding 2nd iPod Touch to same computer & sharing apps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tdmom, Jun 28, 2010.

1. tdmom macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I have had a 16gb ipod touch 2g for about 1 1/2 years and we just purchased a 8gb ipod touch 3g for 5 of my children to share.

I'd like to know how is it best to proceed to keep their ipod content separate from mine? I have learned how to do it by clicking shift/itunes at the same time to have 2 separate libraries. Is this the best way? I've never done this before, so I'm sorry if the questions seem silly.

Also, am I allowed to share the apps in which I've purchased on MY ipod touch and also put them on my kids' ipod touch? If so, would someone kindly share with me how I am to do this? I'm not a high tech person and would certainly appreciate the help. Thank you so much in advance.

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

That's probably the best way.

Yes, as long as you share the same account.

3. tdmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. So, is the only way to switch between the accounts to close itunes and then reopen by holding shift/itunes at the same time?

Also, how do I put the same app on both ipods? Thank you.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I'm not sure.

Is the 8gb registered for your account?

5. tdmom thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it is---was that wrong?

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

As long as they're both registered for your account they should be able to download your data.

7. tdmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. While I really appreciate your help, I'm still quite lost and do not understand what I need to do know in order to put the same game apps from MY ipod onto my KIDS ipod---could you or someone please explain to me how I do this? Thank you in advance.

8. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I agree. I destroyed my first Touch and bought a second one. iTunes could care less. It just loaded all of the apps on to the second one.

Same with my iPad. Any app that runs on both the Touch and the iPad gets duplicated on to each machine as do books.

I'm thinking of buying a new Touch for my wife and syncing it under my iTunes account. I fully expect it to be able to use all of the same apps.

9. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

You have to use the same iTunes account for all of them but you can give them different names. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

10. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

as others have said, as long as they are both syncing to the same itunes account, you can have the same apps on multiple ipods. why do you need separate libraries? just use one library and manage what is getting synced to each device.

11. devils punchbow macrumors member

You can use the same apps you already purchased on the second touch. Just connect touch to your computer>open itunes>transfer data just like you would your own touch.

12. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp