adding 4 gb kit to my new imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hedgerow, Jan 21, 2008.

1. hedgerow macrumors newbie

The self described geek at the mac store said if I added the 4 GB kit to my new imac it would be as fast as the more expensive models. I bought the less expensive 2GHz intel Core Duo/ Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's pretty darn slow..just like the G4 I've replaced. Could someone please comment on this? Should I take it back and upgrade and spend $600.00 more?
    This was an impulsive buy. Thank you!:confused:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, upgrade the RAM.

HOWEVER, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, buy the RAM from Apple. Their prices are ridiculous.

I usually buy from otherworldcomputing.com. Never had a problem. Installation is also easy.

3. hedgerow thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks! I bought from Crucial.com..the "Geek" gave me the site and told me what to buy said Mac would cost 1000. bucks. How nice is he? So that will speed things up, huh?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The jump from 1GB to 4GB? That'll be huge, will allow for much smoother multi-tasking performance.

5. buyusfear macrumors 6502

I just bought 4gigs from a local store here for $58 bucks per 2gig stick, Mushkin, threw it in, and it runs very smooth.
    Mac makes me happy.

6. kormaster macrumors newbie

I upgraded my new iMac also from 1 gig to 4 gig. $108 shipped to CA from amazon. Very satisfied with the performance. Smooth and click-happy.

7. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

"speed" is the wrong word; "responsive" is a more accurate description of the improvement.
    You can run more applications at the same time without nay difference in responsiveness.
    This is especially noticeable if you try to use Spaces or Time machine with lots of apps running.