Adding a 2nd line for myself, when purchasing iPhone 4...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMJustAGuy, Jun 12, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I've searched many of the upgrade threads and could not find any pertaining to my question. I am eligible for a partial discount and will be getting the 32GB iPhone. I was looking at ways on not having to pay $499.

Someone correct me if I'm looking at this wrong but, if I add a line, I only have to pay $2 more a month AND I get 100 more minutes a month... The way I look at it, I can just add a lone for a measly $2, get 100 more minutes per month, AND get the iPhone for $299? Seems... well, not right...?

If this will in fact work, will they ask me the name of the person I am setting the line up for? As I said it would be for me and I will just let my other line lay dormant...

I use 450 minutes, Unlimited text and Data... Currently no iPhone as it got stolen 5 months ago :mad:

Thanks!

-Dale

Attached Files:

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did this last year..no issue. No need to tell them who it's for.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

@Geckotek
    Really? That's fantastic news... only a few "consequences" I guess... I will have to use the new number... (is there any way I can get a micro sim for my current line?) And I guess the only other "problem" is that my first month I will have my new iPhone with the data and text, and also will have to pay for my other line's data and text even when I cancel that month, right?

Sorry if that's confusing, haha. Doesn't make much sense to me either.

4. Kyliec89 macrumors member

I know a couple people who lost their att phones or broke them and att actually recommended this idea to them so they could get a new phone without paying an insane price. So, I wouldn't worry too much about them caring. They are getting an extra line out of you, that will keep you with them another 2 years, and that will also have a ETF if you leave.... I don't think they care.lol

5. Kyliec89 macrumors member

Actually, one person I know broke her blackberry, and they gave her the whole "add a new line" idea, and then let her use the new lines upgrade on her phone, so she could keep her number. You should be able to work it out to keep your number the same. I think it will depend on when you cancel as far as data and text, but its one month, and your saving a bit of money, so its not too bad.

6. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

What do you think would happen if I told them I am adding a new line for say a family member or something and I am going to give them my phone but tell them that I am using the new line to get an iPhone for myself... Do you think they would give me a micro sim for my existing number?

^I guess we posted at the same time... Hmmm... I guess that pretty much answers my question that I just wrote... Thanks :)

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I let my second number sit dormant. Basically wasting $10/month. Thinking about letting my little sister onto my plan though.

No need for a new micro-sim. Before activating the phone, call AT&T and tell them you are going to swap lines. Basically follow our "Upgrade Swap" directions in the upgrade guide. It's all the same principle.

8. Bakakage macrumors 6502

This is not Iphone related but I am on a family plan with 450 minutes and 30$ unlimited messaging, and by this post I only have to pay $2 extra a month to add a new line or is it 10 dollars? So if I add a new line/sim would it require a 2 year contract and will share with our minutes or will it only have 100 minutes? All I want is a new number/sim no phone included. I basically want this line for my dad who doesn't have a phone, but I want to give him one so we have a ways of contacting him all the time.

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

You both share the minutes... messaging is tied to each line alone so no sharing there. Click my thumbnails and look at the small print UNDER the prices.. that is showing the prices with my 24% discount... just look under that where it says originally... The first shows individual plans... the second shows family plans.

...And actually I just went back and re-read your post... the plans that are shown on screen are for 2 lines... I'm not sure if they change with more people because I have not tried... But sense you said you were already on a family plan, I doubt the rates would be the same...

10. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

looks good to me, I say do it...but the single line u posted has Canada

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I haven't reviewed the graphic, but I forgot that I need to clarify one thing...sorry I didn't mention it earlier Dale. This caught me by surprise last year.

There are a couple of costs involved in moving to a family line. 1) The difference in the plan. I was forced from a 450 individual plan to a 550 family plan. 2) The charge for each additional line - $10. I think I also may have adjusted my texting plan to a shared texting plan.

In my case I think it was a $15/month difference. You'd have to look at your current plans and the current family rates to determine your actual cost.

12. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I noticed that... there were no other options... what does it mean?

13. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

wait, what plan do you have now?? 450 single plan should be $39.99...not $59.99

so its more like and extra $8 a month instead of $2