Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2002
I've had my quicksilver for a couple of years now, and am looking to upgrade it to a DVD-R drive. I ordered it with a zip drive, which is all but useless these days. Are there any kits or suppliers for parts, for converting the lower zip drive bay into an Optical drive bay, with a flip down door in the same style as the top flip down door? If possible, I'd like to have two drives in there.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2002
Nevermind...I've since found some articles about this mod...not an easy one.

I think I'll just convert my zip drive opening into a plate with a USB 2.0 and headphone port. seems much easier.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2002
The best solution hack I've found is here:

http://www.macfora.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2429&hl=

But it's just too much work for just being able to hold onto my apple CDRW drive. Not to mention the fact that I can't seem to find a blank QS bezel anywhere...and the door to my drive would be a zip drive door.

So what I'll do is buy a USB 2.0 cable that has a female end with mounting tabs, mount that to a plate in the zip drive opening, and plug the other end into the internal port on my USB 2 card. Then I just have to figure out how to hook up a headphone jack in the front as well. But within a couple of weeks I'm going to buy a clear grille cover for the speaker hole, chunk the speaker, and put a red cathode tube inside. *evil mac*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.