adding a blackberry to the mix...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by QCassidy352, Sep 20, 2008.

?

Which would you rather have?

1. iphone 2G and older bb which has data only

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. nicer bb with voice and data + ipod touch

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

So I have an iphone, and I like it very much because it allowed me to carry only one thing instead of an ipod and a cell phone. but now I have to carry a bb for my job, as well. So here are my two options:

1) iphone 2G + bb 8700 (no voice - data only)
    Pros: access to both home and work email without wifi network; I have them both already
    Cons: have to carry both of them at all times because I can't get work email on the iphone and can't get phone calls of any kind on the bb

OR

2) nicer bb (voice and data) + ipod touch
    Pros: when I don't need music (i.e. during the work day, when going out at night) I can leave the ipod in my desk/at home and only carry one thing; the new bb would be much more pleasant to use than the older one I was given
    Cons: no access to home email except when in range of a wifi network; would have to buy both devices and sell iphone; would have to coordinate getting my new bb with both the job and AT&T so that it could take over my iphone contract and could be hooked up to the job's servers

Thoughts?

2. Mr$Whale macrumors member

hmmm...sounds like a dilemma. depending on what blackberry you get, it can play music. depends on the size of your SD card (you can get up to eight gigs nowadays I believe, don't quote me). I have the pearl and it's pretty solid. It's good to have to be able to check my e-mail (so i don't have to), and use as a planner, along with media for short walks or something like that. It's definitely no ipod replacement if you like having a lot of music on hand at once.

As for syncing with a computer, it's average. It's not going to be as seamless as the iPhone, but it gets by alright.

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should clarify. If I were to go with option 2, the bb would be a work-only device, except that I would use it as my personal cell phone also. So I would not need to worry about syncing it with my mac at all, nor would I load music on to it. My personal calendars, music, media, etc. would only be on the ipod touch.

If I stay with option 1, the bb will be used ONLY for work email, and the iphone for everything else (you can see how annoying it is that they can't/won't let me use my iphone with the work email).

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

5. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yah, I guess I think option 2 is the better one in the long run. But it's going to be a real hassle to sell the iphone, buy the bb, switch my AT&T plan from the iphone to the bb, get my work to put the bb on their system, and buy the ipod touch.

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

iPhones are usually pretty easy to get rid of on e-bay, last I checked people were still bidding well for them.

Wow, you're the only person I know for whom buying a shiny new gadget is a hassle :) j / k, I see your point. I'd still go for the second option though.

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Well that's good to know, at least. :)

haha, I love the buying of the shiny gadgets, but I just don't relish trying to work out the logistics with AT&T and the IT department.

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Just to add this into the mix, I just heard that BB is working on a Mac sync program! This could make syncing much easier than PocketMac