adding a cox/gmail email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac000, Sep 10, 2007.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

does anyone else have a problem adding a cox or gmail email account today/tonight?

im not able to add either on my iphone

2. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i could have sworn i plugged in the same info to setup my cox email on my iphone that is on my Mail app on my mac, but I have a friend that just got the iphone and we are trying to set up her cox mail on her iphone and it will just not go through. The gmail worked once we enabled POP on gmail.com settings, but the Cox email simply will not verify.

The funny thing is under my Cox email account on my iphone i do not even have anything writting for an outgoing server, but if i did write anythign it was the same as my outgoing server on my mail app, i dont remember having any problems activating it on my iPhone.

Can someone please lend a helping hand here, thanks?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you use iTunes to sync your phone with your computer, then you are guaranteed to have the correct settings.

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Cox is a pain in the butt.

All outgoing mail must use there outgoing servers while you are connected to Cox - so if you have WiFi at home connected to Cox it works great - but the minute you leave home the email will not work because you are not on the Cox connection any longer - so it wont let you use the out going mail server...

I have found a good work around yet...

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is in no way unique to Cox.

6. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I live in San Diego, and have been pissed at Cox for years for not letting me access my smtp servers. So frustrating... well, the other day my iPhone started to send mail using MY smtp server on Cox. I had to double check, and sure enough, using the iPhone I can use my own domain smtp server. I think they made a change or something, but I'm a pretty savvy guy with setting up email, and something that didn't work on my laptop for years, and on the iPhone for 2 months now, suddenly started working. Weird.

7. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Nope its not at all - many do that. However this thread is about Cox not the others...