Adding A Forum

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JackT06, Aug 12, 2009.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Right after doing some research for my self (rather than just posting like before). I have found several sites that provide me with a forum package however one thing they do not run through is how to use is. I have attach the link of the one im thinking of using however if you know better please do add,

Im wanting to put this into my website rather than the forum link i currently i have which is very awful tbh.

Many Thanks

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't see the link you refer to. Please post again and put in the link.

3. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well... first of all, you'll need an web host. You could Google it for free ones. Then, you should be provided an FTP server, FTP username, and FTP password (usually the password you used for registering). Try using this link.

Step zwei (haha :) ) is getting yourself an FTP client, like... Cyberduck or CuteFTP (this one is not free).

When you're done with the above steps, you need your forum software. I've used phpBB for its community support. Download the package and unzip it somewhere.

Next, fire up your FTP client, and log into the server, with the information provided at step 1. Each of the two clients I indicated at step 2 will have two places once you logged in: your computer and your space on the hosting service. On your computer, go to the folder where you unzipped the forum software. You might want to rename the unzipped folder to phpbb. Then, drag it into the other space, the one with your host's files.

After everything is completed, you need a database. I recommend a MySQL one. Google search for free mysql database, and register to d b 4 f r e e.

When everything is complete, you can go here for an installation guide. Come back here if any problems arise.

P.S.: Why is it censored? It censored four fr33 (the correct version, I mean :) )

4. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Thanks Not Available, i have now registered for my hosting server which should be activated during the next 24 hours. :D

5. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

I Dont Understand

Right i have done sevral bits but i dont know what to do next.
    So i have :
    • Made an account with a hosting
    • Downloaded Cyber Duck
    • Added my FTP to cyber Duck
    • Downloaded Forum Software
    • Unziped it and put it on desktop

So whats next?

Thanks

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Upload to your site. Follow any instructions that come with the forum software.

7. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
  8. yezza macrumors regular

From what you have written, you have not uploaded the forum software to your website. Perhaps you have the terms uploaded and downloaded around the wrong way..?

9. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    This is the easy way to upload the files from your Mac to the FTP server. Or right-click on it and Upload.

10. yezza macrumors regular

Crap. My apologies Not Available - had it all arse about face who said what for some reason :(:eek:

11. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009