Carrier Adding a line, advice needed!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhaithful, May 12, 2014.

1. iPhaithful macrumors regular

iPhaithful

Ok so I want to buy my wife a new phone. Thing is, she's still on a family share plan with her mom, dad, sister and brother. I have my own share plan that I've been on and I want to get her a new phone without changing her number. I was looking online and they have the 5s for 49.99/two year agreement. I guess my question is: If I ordered that phone, granted they would send it with a sim for a new number. Could I take it to a store and have it switched to her (number). Would I still incur the price hit of the $40/month extra on my bill even though the phone isn't technically on my line? :confused:

Edit: The obvious solution of adding her to my plan and keeping her number isn't really winning over.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

The only way is to add her to you plan by changing the responsibility of her line from the family plan she's on to the plan that's in your name. That's the only way to do it without incurring an ETF.

The way you suggested of adding a line and then porting her number over it will trigger an ETF on her old plan.

3. iosuser macrumors 6502a

If both you and the in laws are with AT&T, just take out her existing SIM card and put it in the new iPhone from the new line. Then go buy the cheapest feature phone u can find (the Alcatel prepaid phone for $15 works perfectly), and put the sim from the new iPhone 5s in there. You'll need a nano to micro sim adapter. Then call or visit an AT&T store and have them remove the data plan on that SIM card. Yes AT&T lets u do that, which is a bit surprising since the $10/mo for just a voice plan times 24 months doesn't even pay for their subsidy to Apple.

4. corys00 macrumors regular

Are you both on the same carrier? Knowing the answer to that is the first step to knowing what solution works best.