Adding a line, then swapping that iphone to primary line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asr10 user, Jul 13, 2010.

1. asr10 user macrumors regular

Is this the same as an upgrade swap? I actually talked to ATT via online chat, and they said once an iPhone 4 is ordered, its stuck to that line. But im pretty sure thats not true.

So I want to add a line with iPhone 4 then once I receive her, put it on my primary line, use a dummy phone on the new line, and cancel data on the new line. It works out because I need a new line anyway, I have unlimited data on my primary line, and it saves me some $$ in getting the iPhone at full discount price.

The only thing I was worried about was being able to cancel data, but the ATT rep said I can cancel data at any time. And to order online, I would need to add the single line to my account and order it, once I receive it then I can switch to family plan.

Will I need to do the same call ATT and give them IMEI's of everything to swap? Anyone done something similar?

2. iBryton macrumors regular

I'm not sure if we had the same situation.

I upgraded my iPhone (2nd Generation) to the iPhone 4. Let's just say the new iP4 number is 69. Then I have my current 3G S which phone number is 11. I wanted the iP4 to be 11 and 3G S to be 69. I also wanted 69 to be primary holder (Admin) of the account. I simply went to AT&T store, switched out the sims, and switched that around..

3. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

That's done very easily. However, the iPhone 4 does have a micro sim. So it's a bit different then popping the sim out and putting it in a dummy phone. I would activate it, then stroll down to AT&T and they can swap the lines.

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, good luck cancelling data. They might want an ETF for that. Or at least part of it. I didn't think it was allowed after the first gen iPhone? That one you could cancel because it was mostly unsubsidized.

5. JokerD macrumors member

It's easily done, but you have to go to AT&T. When you get the new phone and activate it, it will only activate to the line you ordered it on. After activation, it will make the microsim active and disable the standard sim. You'll have to go to AT&T and get a new microsim for the primary line and have them remove the iphone data plan from the line you ordered it on. Done it on 2 lines, no charges for doing it.

6. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

As a former AT&T employee. He won't be charged an ETF for simply swapping an iPhone to another line on his account. As long as the line with the iPhone has data. Once the new line is swapped for a "dummy" phone, he is welcome to cancel Any data on that line. An ETF is only gonna be charged if he canceled a line all together that was under contract

7. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

Confirmed.

8. asr10 user thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect. Sounds like this is the way to go. I need another line for my grandmother because prepaid is very expensive. And I qualify for the $499 upgrade, so for $200 less upfront I basically pay the same price with an extra line for about a year.

9. sportster macrumors 6502

I've swapped phones like that before, no real issues with it. Just don't cancle that second (new) line or you will be hit with the ETF or they want the phone returned.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, I can confirm this as well, I've done this many times, Even before the iPhone, back when i got the blackjack, the only difference this time is the MicroSIM card, but any AT&T employee can help yo with that. I can tell you that you don;t even have to put the on a dummy phone... I didn't on one of my lines and haven;t had an issue.

11. michaelfields macrumors regular

I've got a similar question. If I'm on a plan with someone else and they used the upgrade on their line to get me the new phone what should I do when I get it? Activate it then bring it in? Or just bring it to AT&T?

12. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I thought about something similar to this to get someone on my family plan an iphone without having to pay the 399 for the 16gb. Then I realized even if I get a 16gb ip4 for $199 now, maintaining a voice-only "dummy" line for 2 years of a contract would still cost me an additional $240 over the course of the contract and it'd just be cheaper to upgrade the one line at the $399 price point.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

you can do it at home, but it is easier to take it to the store, they will activate it on the others person line (since it is the line that qualified), and them they can do the SIM swap and both phone will be working.

You can do it at home, and them try to soft the issue on the phone...but it is just easier to go do it at the store.

(i did it with when I upgrade to the 3GS, the other phone was on another state, they activated the phone on the other line, them give that SIM to me, and them I had my father which had the phone, go to an at&T and get a new SIM for him, and all done)

14. asr10 user thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it would actually be more than $240 over two years, after monthly taxes. This works for me because I actually need another line for someone. This didnt even pop into my head until I realized how much pre paid is. I pay $25 a month every 3 weeks. This makes much more sense.

15. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

If you actually need the line, yes, it definitely makes much more sense. I was speaking from the perspective of adding an additional line to get the discounted iPhone 4, then tranferring the ip4 to an active line and maintaining the new "dummy" line for $10 a month with no one actually using it.