Adding a macbook to my iMac - how?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sir Loin Steak, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I have just bought this macbook (OS X 10.5.8), and would like to access the files, or some of the files, that exist on my iMac. Such as the iTunes folder and iPhoto, for example.

How do I access one computer from the other?

For example, right now, this computer can 'see' the imac, but fails to 'connect' to it in any way so that I might browse the files. But the iMac cannot see the macbook.

I will also need to access the printer that is attached to the iMac.

Is there an FAQ on this issue, please?

Thanks in advance, Sir Loin...

2. unixperience macrumors regular

im guessing your macbook doesn't have file sharing enabled, if it doesn't appear in your finder. heres what you do
    1. open up system preferences
    2. click on sharing
    3. check the box that says file sharing, on the right side of the window there will be more options to customize how you share, files and folders. by default it will only share your "public folder." you can access your specific files by going to the imac opening finder and selecting your macbook, then on the top right there will be a grey bar and a button that says "connect as" click it then log in with your username and password for your macbook, this will let you access all the files under your macbook user account from your imac (hope that made sense)

make sure file sharing is enabled on both computers

as for the printer thing, in that same sharing area, there is another box that says printer sharing(right under file sharing actually) check that box too, and you can customize it as needed

now one more side note, if you want to transfer a lot of files, or large files, you could just use your network(i assume wireless) or the WAY FASTER way is to connect an ethernet cable directly between the two computers, and then follow the above procedure to transfer files (sometimes this works better if you turn off the airport on one of the computers, then it knows to use the ethernet rather than the wireless, but DONT turn it on again till you finish transferring files, otherwise it might freeze your computer) when your done EJECT THE OTHER COMPUTER BEFORE UNPLUGGING THE CABLE. it's worlds faster than using the wireless network

if you have any questions please ask

3. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

It's a revelation! As we speak, the files are being transferred...

As you said, the fist time I did it it was going to take 5 hours, but now I have rummaged around the garage to find an old ethernet cable... 24 minutes!

Thanks for the advice, and now I'm sure adding the printer will be a breeze.

:apple: