Adding a monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daviddsims, Apr 13, 2011.

1. daviddsims macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro hooked up with a mini display to DVI adapter to my HP2310 monitor. When I mirror the displays I only get 1600x900 resolution no matter what I set it to. I am trying to just use the monitor at 1920x1080. Thanks in advance.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you mirror the displays, it will limit it to whichever device has the lower resolution, in this case, what appears to be the 15" HR MBP. Uncheck the mirroring, and you will be able to run them both at full res.

3. Coolestdude macrumors member

I think it depends if you are using a cable or an adapter. Unless the cable/adapter has some smarts in it, you are limited on your resolution.

4. daviddsims thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I am getting. I would like to be able to do this in Windows when I reboot. Do you know if it works the same way in xp?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

XP sucks as far as dual displays go, use windows 7 instead, it's much better in that and many other regards.

6. daviddsims thread starter macrumors newbie

The max resolution on the xp side is really low and wont let me select higher resolution like I can on the mac side. Is this a driver fault?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Possibly.