Adding a networked external HD to G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by olsend81, Jun 11, 2013.

1. olsend81 macrumors member

I am not able to use my Verizon router to host a HD for my network could I do it with my g5 and would by newer intel MacBook be able to access it remotely? Any advice/links to tutorials would be great.

Thanks

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

You have a hard drive on the network? You want the G5 to connect to it? Finder> command k> enter in the IP.

Do you want your Intel to connect to the G5 somehow? Why?

3. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Are you set on a true NAS type setup or would attaching the HD to either Mac and then enable file sharing work for your needs?

4. olsend81 thread starter macrumors member

I just want to be able to backup my MacBook Pro to my external hard drive or access files from backup when I'm not at home.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There are some WD Passport drives that are not supported by PowerMacs. Assuming that your drive is NOT one of these and has either USB 2.0 or Firewire 400/800 you can connect it to your G5 and share the drive.

On your LAN (your network at home) your MPB would connect to the drive as a shared drive. You may have to enable unsupported drives for Time Machine (it's a terminal command) to get your MBP to see the drive.

What happens, is that Time Machine will make a disk image and will backup to that disk image on the hard drive. Assuming it's all set up correctly, when TM backs up all you will see is the disk image mounted (and not the shared drive).

If your MBP has issues you may have to actually create the disk image yourself and then place it on the shared drive. But you'll need to be specific. Time Machine uses a sparsebundle disk image and has a certain naming standard. If you have to create it, use Disk Utility to create a sparse bundle disk image that is large enough to backup your MBP's drive. The name of the image itself needs to be the share name of your MBP and then the MAC address of your MBPs Ethernet connection.

For instance. My 17" PowerBook backed up to a iBook G3 that was file sharing a USB drive. That drive is now in my PowerMac G5, but the share name on my 17" Mac has not changed. It's Y7. I combine that with the MAC address (Ethernet) of my 17" Mac and I get this:

Y7_000393d551c6.sparsebundle

Now, the naming of the drive that is IN the disk image can be anything you want, but I have named mine Backup of YF7_EIDE_100G as that is the standard Time Machine naming of a drive that is backed up to a network mounted disk image.

Then you just mount the shared drive, copy that disk image to the shared drive , tell TM to use the shared drive as the backup and TM will then mount the sparsebundle disk image. Once you see that mounted, you can eject the shared drive (not the disk image drive). TM will from then on only mount and backup to the disk image on the shared drive.

Now, your other stipulation was doing this outside of your home network. For that, I think you are going to need a VPN, or at the very least a way to open a port in your router and map it to the G5. Not sure if that would work at all. A VPN would probably be better.

6. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Isn't that just not supported for booting?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, thanks! You are absolutely correct.

Man, just batting zeros lately…:(