Adding a New Icon To Mail Toolbar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Background
    My father moved to NY in the spring and has been writing emails to my 6 year old son. While he is getting better and better at reading, I remembered from the Leopard keynote how Steve showed off the new "voices." My son now likes to have his emails read to him.

I realized about a month ago how handy the same thing is to have my own emails read back to me before I send them. I now make a habit, especially when it comes to important or lengthy business emails to use the speech utility. Not that I'm bad at composing emails, but I often hear a missing or misspelled word. Anyway, I figure it's a quick check that probably pays big but subtle dividends.

The Problem and Solution I'm Looking For

Every time I want to use the speech utility I have to highlight the email text I want read to me, click Mail > Services > Speech > Start Speaking Text. It would be A LOT easier if I could put an icon on the toolbar (maybe like a microphone or silhouetted head with the word "Speech" underneath it) that I could click that would accomplish this in 1 click rather than 4. Any ideas?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im pretty sure you cant add a speech icon to the toolbar without some sort of add-on which im not aware of.

you can, however, add a keyboard shortcut called "Start Speaking Text" in Keyboard & Mouse preferences for Mail and give it a shortcut like option+command+S and this will speak the highlighted text in Mail