Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gab1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Hi I have a iphone 4s, I'm on holiday atm and i brought my macbook with iTunes on, my mac pro machine is at home which is synced to my iPhone but I'm on holiday for 3 months and i want to put some new music on my iPhone if i connect my iPhone to my macbook which isn't synced up as i don't have a copy of my music library on my macbook (small hdd) how do i add my new track, iTunes keeps wanting to erase my iPhone stored music, can anyone help?

The new track I have is a track my friend made so its not on iTunes and out of curiosity with that in mind if i bought a track from iTunes could i add it to my iPhone without me loosing my entire library stored on it?

Last edited:

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I can't test this at the moment, but can't you connect it, not sync it, but put it into disk mode, and then just drag and drop it over? I think that was possible on previous iPods.

And if the accounts are the same, when you buy the song in iTunes on your MacBook, it should just download onto the iPhone automatically.

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Google music account, add the file to google music, stream it down to your phone?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Also, DropBox has its own (not so great) media player. And, if you mark the file as a "favorite" it retains a local copy. But, you're limited to the amount of storage that you have with DropBox (first ~2G free).

Regarding the real problem -- with any other iPod I own, I can choose to manually add music from my other computer without having to first delete every bit of media that was on it. I have no idea why this does not also apply to the iPhone.

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.