Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w22plm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Trying to add a Laserjet 4 plus printer to my newly purchased MacBook Pro. Printer worked fine on the last laptop (HP). The printer is recognized by the macbook; it is listed in the Printer List under Printer Setup Utility. But it will not print. I go this printer "handed down" to me! So I do not have the software or driver disc; for my last laptop I downloaded them from the HP website.

So it will not work...any suggestions are welcome!!!

:D

eyebeaz

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2006
I had a similar problem where my printer was listed in the Utility, but it wouldn't let me add it to the list of printers. When you have an application open (such as Safari for example), does the printer show up in the list if you try to print something?

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
You don't need the driver CD -- your Mac should have the HP drivers already installed, or at the least, CUPS will support it.

Do this: delete all instances of the printer in Printer Utility, click "Add a New Printer" and add the printer by choosing the connection method, manufacturer and model.

BTW, what specific model of LJ4 and what connection method are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.